Friction Independent of Area: Understand It Here

In summary, friction is independent of the area of surfaces in contact as long as the normal reaction remains the same. However, there are some situations where the area of contact does affect the normal reaction and therefore, the force of friction. This may be seen in examples such as a sliding rectangular slab. The statement "force is independent of area of surface of contact except when the normal reaction remains the same" may be a bit confusing and it is important to refer to reliable sources for accurate information.
Amru123
Friction is independent of area of surfaces in contact as long as the normal reaction remains the same.I agree that it does not depend and so says it's formula but the condition that it does when the normal reaction remains same looks odd to me..Can someone help me out to understand this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Amru123 said:
Friction is independent of area of surfaces in contact as long as the normal reaction remains the same.I agree that it does not depend and so says it's formula but the condition that it does when the normal reaction remains same looks odd to me..Can someone help me out to understand this?
What seems odd to you about it?

Chestermiller said:
What seems odd to you about it?
I can't see the connection between how the "remaining same of normal reaction" makes friction become dependant on "area"

Who says that the friction force depends on the area?

Chestermiller said:
Who says that the friction force depends on the area?
Oh my god! You are misunderstanding my question.I was reading a book at a neighbourhood library when I came across this statement "Force is independent of area of surface of contact except when the normal reaction remains the same" Which clearly means normal reaction makes force become dependant.Do you get what I mean? If you don't believe in the statement I mentioned,Kindly look it up.It's true but I can't understand how it could be.Do help me gain some knowledge about it if you get to know it.Thanks in advance

Amru123 said:
was reading a book at a neighbourhood library when I came across this statement "Force is independent of area of surface of contact except when the normal reaction remains the same"
Are you sure that's what you read? That's a puzzling statement.

In the 'standard model' of friction (where F = μN), the friction force does not depend on surface area of contact. Period. It does depend on the normal force pressing the surfaces together.

Amru123 said:
Oh my god! You are misunderstanding my question.I was reading a book at a neighbourhood library when I came across this statement "Force is independent of area of surface of contact except when the normal reaction remains the same" Which clearly means normal reaction makes force become dependant.Do you get what I mean?
No. Is this the exact quote? Maybe there is an example problem associated with this?

Amru123 said:
Oh my god! You are misunderstanding my question.I was reading a book at a neighbourhood library when I came across this statement "Force is independent of area of surface of contact except when the normal reaction remains the same" Which clearly means normal reaction makes force become dependant.Do you get what I mean? If you don't believe in the statement I mentioned,Kindly look it up.It's true but I can't understand how it could be.Do help me gain some knowledge about it if you get to know it.Thanks in advance

frustrating, isn't it?

Amru123 said:
Friction is independent of area of surfaces in contact as long as the normal reaction remains the same.

Not a very clear piece of technical explanation but essentially correct .

There are situations where the area of surfaces in contact determines the normal reaction . An example of this would be a simple sliding rectangular slab of constant thickness . The bigger the sliding contact area becomes the heavier the slab becomes and the bigger the normal reaction becomes .

Last edited:
Amru123 said:
Friction is independent of area of surfaces in contact as long as the normal reaction remains the same.

Amru123 said:
Force is independent of area of surface of contact except when the normal reaction remains the same

Which is it?

Last edited:
Likes CWatters
A.T. said:
Which is it?
It's the former."as long as".Except is not right.Just now referred a website.Kindly bare my blunder.

Related to Friction Independent of Area: Understand It Here

1. What is friction independent of area?

Friction independent of area refers to the concept that the amount of friction between two surfaces does not depend on the surface area in contact. This means that even if the surface area of contact is changed, the amount of friction remains the same.

2. How does friction independent of area differ from other types of friction?

Unlike other types of friction, such as static or rolling friction, friction independent of area does not change with the size or shape of the surface in contact. This is because it is caused by the interlocking of irregularities on the surface, rather than the amount of surface area in contact.

3. What factors affect friction independent of area?

The main factors that affect friction independent of area are the nature of the surfaces in contact and the amount of force applied. Rougher surfaces tend to have higher friction independent of area, while smoother surfaces have lower friction independent of area. The amount of force applied also affects the magnitude of friction independent of area.

4. How is friction independent of area useful?

Friction independent of area is useful in many practical applications, such as in the design of brakes for vehicles or shoes for traction. Since it does not change with surface area, it allows for consistent and predictable frictional forces, which can be beneficial in ensuring safety and efficiency in various mechanical systems.

5. Can friction independent of area be eliminated?

No, friction independent of area cannot be completely eliminated. However, its effects can be reduced by using smoother surfaces or lubricants to reduce the roughness of the surfaces in contact. In some cases, the use of anti-friction materials can also help to reduce the effects of friction independent of area.