Friction constant minimizing the duration of vertical motion

In summary: Damping is the adding of energy to a system that reduces its oscillations. In the context of linear systems, adding energy ( ##\Delta u## ) to a system will cause its oscillations to decrease. This decrease is termed underdamping, because the system eventually reaches a lower level of vibration. Addition of energy causes the system to vibrate more slowly at low frequencies and more rapidly at high frequencies. In the context of linear systems, adding energy ( ##\Delta u## ) to a system will cause its oscillations to decrease. This decrease is termed underdamping, because the system eventually reaches a lower level of vibration.
TheRealPhone

Homework Statement

The mass of a car that acts on one wheel is 100 kg. The elasticity (spring) constant in the suspension system of that wheel is k = 10^4N/m. Design the strut (find the friction/resistance constant c) such that any vertical motion of the wheel (set up for example by going over a bump or pothole on the road) will die out in the shortest amount of time.

Homework Equations

mx′′+cx′+kx=F(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have determined that the equation that we will most likely be using is mx''+cx'+kx=F(t) where F is some force. I at first thought that I should look at it at the critically damped point or where c^2-4mk=0 but I thought it was to simple and didn't make sense for this situation. Overall very confused and could use some assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Phone, welcome to PF :smile: !

Critical damping ( ##\zeta =1 ## ) is often a bit too much and too stiff, but what damping ratio (*) is optimum depends on the criteria (an error band, or the integral of deviation squared or something). Since your exercise asks for a single constant, alternatives like nonlinear damping are ruled out. So depending on your context, the simple solution might be the right one. The "critically damped response is the response that reaches the steady-state value the fastest without being underdamped" (from wiki). Key is this last restriction: you can accept some underdamping if it makes the system recover faster from a bump.

(*) Note that the picture here is a step response; you probably want to optimize the pulse response.

Thanks for the response,

I tried setting up a system of equations that may indeed minimize it using underdamping aswell. The problem is that while c^2-4mk <= 0 the functions is obviously decreasing but when you look at when it is greater then 0 it ends up increasing which would be the damping from the bottom side. I'm having trouble now finding where I could minimize this thought so that the time could be minimized.

Underdamping is not the same as negative damping ! For all ##\zeta > 0## there is damping !

Related to Friction constant minimizing the duration of vertical motion

1. What is friction constant?

The friction constant is a measurement of the resistance to motion between two surfaces in contact. It is a property that depends on the materials and surface conditions of the objects in contact.

2. How does friction affect the duration of vertical motion?

Friction can slow down the duration of vertical motion by creating a force that opposes the motion. This force must be overcome in order for the object to continue moving vertically.

3. How can friction constant be minimized?

The friction constant can be minimized by using materials with low friction coefficients, such as smooth surfaces or lubricated surfaces. Additionally, reducing the contact area between the two surfaces can also decrease the friction constant.

4. What is the relationship between friction constant and vertical motion?

The friction constant and vertical motion have an inverse relationship. As the friction constant decreases, the duration of vertical motion increases, and vice versa.

5. Why is it important to minimize the friction constant in vertical motion?

Minimizing the friction constant can improve the efficiency of vertical motion and reduce the amount of energy needed to overcome friction. This can result in smoother and faster movements, and can also prevent wear and tear on the objects in contact.