Friction: Body Movement on Slope

• Thread starter DIrtyPio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary: Yes, but what is the slope?The slope is the angle between the horizontal and the vertical.The slope is the angle between the horizontal and the vertical.
DIrtyPio
Hi. I have a question. A body is lying on a slope. We increase the slope until the body starts to move. So my question is, if we stop increasing the slope when the body starts to move will the body maintain constant speed going down until reaches the bottom, or will it accelerate?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DIrtyPio said:
Hi. I have a question. A body is lying on a slope. We increase the slope until the body starts to move. So my question is, if we stop increasing the slope when the body starts to move will de body maintain constant speed going

Hi DIrtyPio! :smile:

Well, there's µs and µk

so what does g*sinθ have to be …

i] when the body starts to move ?

ii] for the body to maintain constant speed ? :wink:

The body starts to move when MU*m*g*cos(theta) <= m*g*sin (theta). I suppose that the body will be accelerateing but I'm not sure. Oh, and by the way, can you tell me why can't I use properly the advanced editing tools, even though if I leave them homework they automatically are put there it sais I've did not tuse the correctly.

DIrtyPio said:
The body starts to move when MU*m*g*cos(theta) <= m*g*sin (theta). I suppose that the body will be accelerateing but I'm not sure. Oh, and by the way, can you tell me why can't I use properly the advanced editing tools, even though if I leave them homework they automatically are put there it sais I've did not tuse the correctly.

Hi DIrtyPio! :smile:

(I'm not sure what you mean by "advanced editing tools" … but I know the LaTeX isn't working at the moment.

But why didn't you copy my µ and θ? :wink:)

I don't think you're taking into account the distinction between µs and µk (static and kinetic coefficients of friction ).

I ran into this question on an exam and if I remember correctly it did not said that I shold care about static and kinetic friction coefficients. So I don't know the answer to this question and I think I don't either know how to solve it, so if you could tell me how to solve this problem that would be great. I know that the static friction coefficient is greater than the kinetic one but if I know only the static one can I calculate the kinetic one? But as you see my main problem is theoretic, so I don't need to calculate anything, I just want to know how the gravitational force acts upon that body, so will it accelerate or the speed will be constant. Because as I said I think that by Newtons II law the force determines the acceleration of a body I think that it will accelerate exponentially. Is this right?

DIrtyPio said:
I ran into this question on an exam and if I remember correctly it did not said that I shold care about static and kinetic friction coefficients.

mmm … just because it didn't say that you should, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't have …

the difference does matter: use F = ma to work out what happens :wink:

So it accelerates with g*cosθ until it reaches the end of the slope.

DIrtyPio said:
So it accelerates with g*cosθ until it reaches the end of the slope.

No!

It would only do that if there were no friction.

Yes... I've forgot about it, it accelerates with (G*cosθ-µk*G*sinθ)/m

DIrtyPio said:
Yes... I've forgot about it, it accelerates with (G*cosθ-µk*G*sinθ)/m

But what is θ?

Remember, θ isn't given, you have to find it.

θ is 90 degrees minus the slope.

DIrtyPio said:
θ is 90 degrees minus the slope.

Yes, but what is the slope?

You have to find it.

It is arctg θ

Related to Friction: Body Movement on Slope

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by roughness and irregularities on the surfaces and can affect the speed and direction of an object's movement.

2. How does friction affect body movement on a slope?

Friction plays a crucial role in body movement on a slope. It provides the necessary resistance to prevent a person from slipping or sliding down the slope. Without friction, it would be nearly impossible to walk or stand on a slope as the body would have no grip on the surface.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction on a slope?

The amount of friction on a slope can be affected by several factors, including the roughness of the surface, the weight of the body, and the angle of the slope. A rougher surface will provide more friction, while a steeper angle and a heavier body will decrease the amount of friction.

4. How can friction be increased on a slope?

Friction can be increased on a slope by increasing the roughness of the surface, such as by adding sand or gravel to the slope. Additionally, wearing shoes with good traction can also increase friction and prevent slipping on a slope.

5. How can friction be reduced on a slope?

Friction can be reduced on a slope by making the surface smoother, such as by using a slippery material like ice or oil. Additionally, wearing shoes with poor traction or walking on a wet surface can also reduce the amount of friction on a slope.