Minimum distance between bomb and shell

In summary, the projectile shell will destroy the bomb in mid-air if the value of '\theta' is ##53^{\circ}##.
Akhilesh Prasad
1. Prolem Statement:-
An aircraft is flying horizontally with constant velocity = ##200 m/s##, at a height = ##1 km## above the ground. At the moment shown, a bomb is released from aircraft and the canon- gun below fires a shell with initial speed = ##200 m/s##, at some angle #\theta#.
1)For what value of ##'\theta'## will the projectile shell destroy the bomb in mid- air ? If the value of ##'\theta'## is ##53^{\circ}##.
2)Find the minimum distance between the bomb and the shell as they fly past each other. Take ##\sin53^{\circ}=4/5##.

The figure for the question is as shown below:
2380 (2).png

2. My solution:-

I have solved the first part of the question the one that I am having trouble solving is the second part. Here is my work on the solution.
For reference these are the variables that I have used in my solution:-
  • ##\vec{s}_{s/e}##-Displacement of shell w.r.t Earth
  • ##\vec{s}_{b/e}##-Displacement of bomb w.r.t Earth
  • ##\vec{v}_{0}##-Velocity of bomb/shell w.r.t Earth
Lets not list all of them, I think you should have got the idea now. So, here goes my solution.

##\vec{s}_{s/e}=-(v_0\cos{\theta}t)\hat{i} + (v_0\sin{\theta}t-(1/2)gt^2)\hat{j}##
##\vec{s}_{b/e}=(v_0t)\hat{i}+(1-(1/2)gt^2)\hat{j}##

Now, to find the minimum distance between the bomb and the shell what I did was first find the relative displacement and then differentiate its modulus and set it as ##0## which gives us the minimum possible distance between them.

##\begin{aligned}
&\vec{s}_{s/b}=-(v_0\cos{\theta}+v_0)t\hat{i}+(v_0\sin\theta-1)\hat{j} \\
\implies & |\vec{s}_{s/b}|^2=2v_0^2t^2(1+\cos\theta)-2v_0\sin\theta t \qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad\qquad \ldots(1)
\end{aligned}##

Now, differentiating equation ##(1)## w.r.t ##t## and putting ##\dfrac{d|\vec{s}_{s/b}|^2}{dt}=0##, we get

##t=\dfrac{\sin\theta}{2v_0(1+\cos\theta)}=\dfrac{1}{4v_0}##

On substituting ##t=1/(4v_0)## in equation ##(1)##, we get

##{|\vec{s}_{s/b}|}^2=\dfrac{320}{16\times 25}=\dfrac{4}{5} \implies |\vec{s}_{s/b}|=\dfrac{2}{\sqrt5}##

3.Book's Solution:-

2380.png

Why does my answer differ from the book, what did I miss.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
An image showing the initial relative positions of the aircraft and gun would be helpful. Your equation for the trajectory of the shell indicates that its x-component is in the direction of the negative x-axis, while that of the bomb is positive. If they both start at the same x-coordinate then surely they can't intersect as they would be moving in opposite directions away from the origin. So there must be some initial separation in the x-direction.

gneill said:
An image showing the initial relative positions of the aircraft and gun would be helpful. Your equation for the trajectory of the shell indicates that its x-component is in the direction of the negative x-axis, while that of the bomb is positive. If they both start at the same x-coordinate then surely they can't intersect as they would be moving in opposite directions away from the origin. So there must be some initial separation in the x-direction.
I have been trying to upload for quite some time but don't know why it doesn't get uploaded.

gneill said:
Finally, it got uploaded.

Akhilesh Prasad said:
Finally, it got uploaded.
So according to your diagram the initial x-separation is ##\sqrt{3}~km##. You'll have to work that into your position equations.

gneill said:
So according to your diagram the initial x-separation is ##\sqrt{3}~km##. You'll have to work that into your position equations.
Oh my god...that was a blunder, thanks for all your efforts.

Last edited:

1. What is the minimum distance between a bomb and a shell?

The minimum distance between a bomb and a shell depends on the type and size of the bomb and the type of shell being used. Generally, a distance of at least 100 feet is recommended to minimize potential damage and casualties.

2. Why is there a minimum distance required between a bomb and a shell?

The minimum distance between a bomb and a shell is necessary to reduce the risk of secondary explosions and shrapnel from the bomb detonation causing harm to individuals and structures nearby.

3. Can the minimum distance between a bomb and a shell vary?

Yes, the minimum distance between a bomb and a shell can vary depending on the specific circumstances and factors involved. It is important for trained professionals to assess each situation and determine the appropriate minimum distance.

4. What happens if the minimum distance between a bomb and a shell is not followed?

If the minimum distance between a bomb and a shell is not followed, there is a higher risk of secondary explosions and shrapnel causing damage and harm to nearby individuals and structures. It is important to always follow safety protocols and guidelines to prevent accidents and injuries.

5. How is the minimum distance between a bomb and a shell determined?

The minimum distance between a bomb and a shell is determined through careful analysis and calculation by trained professionals. Factors such as the type and size of the bomb, the type of shell, and the surrounding environment are taken into consideration to determine the appropriate minimum distance for safety.