Friction: A box at rest on a slope

Thanks for all your help!In summary, the problem involves a 22kg box on a 45 degree ramp with a kinetic coefficient of friction of 0.65 and a static coefficient of friction of 0.78. The first part asks for the magnitude of the largest upward force that can be applied parallel to the ramp to keep the box at rest. The second part asks for the smallest force applied perpendicular to the ramp to keep the box at rest. The solution requires drawing a free body diagram and using Newton's laws to determine the net forces acting on the box. The normal force and friction force must be considered, and in the second part, the applied force must be equal to the force of gravity down the ramp for the net
sonoftunk

Homework Statement

Mass of 22kg on a 45o to the horizontal.
[tex]\mu[/tex]s = 0.78
[tex]\mu[/tex]k = 0.65
Determine the magnitude of the largest force that can be applied upward parallel to the ramp to have the box remain at rest.
AND
Determine the magnitude of the smallest force applied to the top of the box, perpendicular to the ramp, to have the box remain at rest.

Homework Equations

All kinematic-based equations
Newton's Laws
FF = [tex]\mu[/tex]FN

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that the magnitude of the maximum force required would be equal to |FNET| + |FF| I got 2.0 x 102 Newtons of force (correct to two significant digits).

However, the second part, I'm not quite sure of what to do. I thought that if you are applying a force perpendicular to the ramp, you would be increasing the force of gravity perpendicular to the ramp, and since |FN| = |FgN| the normal force would increase. Then I thought the absolute value of the force of friction would have to equal the absolute value of the force of gravity acting parallel to the ramp. In that case, just solve to find the force needed.

I was told I was wrong.

(*side note* I didn't find a use for the kinetic coefficient of friction. I assume that it will be useful, but can't think of how)

Physics news on Phys.org
sonoftunk said:

Homework Statement

Mass of 22kg on a 45o to the horizontal.
[tex]\mu[/tex]s = 0.78
[tex]\mu[/tex]k = 0.65
Determine the magnitude of the largest force that can be applied upward parallel to the ramp to have the box remain at rest.
AND
Determine the magnitude of the smallest force applied to the top of the box, perpendicular to the ramp, to have the box remain at rest.

Homework Equations

All kinematic-based equations
Newton's Laws
FF = [tex]\mu[/tex]FN

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that the magnitude of the maximum force required would be equal to |FNET| + |FF| I got 2.0 x 102 Newtons of force (correct to two significant digits).
Your equation neglects the component of the gravity force acting down the plane, and, in calculating F_f, you first need to calculate the normal force, which is not the same as the box weight.
However, the second part, I'm not quite sure of what to do. I thought that if you are applying a force perpendicular to the ramp, you would be increasing the force of gravity perpendicular to the ramp, and since |FN| = |FgN| the normal force would increase. Then I thought the absolute value of the force of friction would have to equal the absolute value of the force of gravity acting parallel to the ramp. In that case, just solve to find the force needed.

I was told I was wrong.
The applied force perpendicular to the box increases the normal force, not the gravity force. You need to draw a free body diagram and examine all forces perpendicular and parallel to the slope, then apply Newton's laws.
(*side note* I didn't find a use for the kinetic coefficient of friction. I assume that it will be useful, but can't think of how)
Neither can I. Don't let the question trick you. I have to go off line now, so please continue with your attempt, and I would think that one of the night shift owl helpers will assist.

Last edited:
I calculated my FNET drawing a FBD and looking at all forces. The only relevant ones were the force of gravity acting parallel to the plane and the force of friction, everything else canceled out. I had 34 Newtons down the plane for Net force.

You made me realize that I did calculate the Normal force wrong (forgot to include cos 45o), which did skew my answer. So force required would be 1.5 x 102 instead.)

Yeah, for the second part, I didn't think it was clear enough. Since I am increasing the normal force, would I not be correct in thinking that it would increase friction, and that I am trying to find an applied force that increases normal force enough so that the force of friction counteracts the net force? That is where I was told i was wrong.

sonoftunk said:
I calculated my FNET drawing a FBD and looking at all forces. The only relevant ones were the force of gravity acting parallel to the plane and the force of friction, everything else canceled out. I had 34 Newtons down the plane for Net force.
Well, in order for the box to remain at rest, the net force must be zero, which implies that you must apply a force of 34N up the plane to keep it at rest.
You made me realize that I did calculate the Normal force wrong (forgot to include cos 45o), which did skew my answer. So force required would be 1.5 x 102 instead.)
I'm missing you here. How did you get from 34N to 150N?
Yeah, for the second part, I didn't think it was clear enough. Since I am increasing the normal force, would I not be correct in thinking that it would increase friction, and that I am trying to find an applied force that increases normal force enough so that the force of friction counteracts the net force? That is where I was told i was wrong.
you may have been told you were wrong, because you are trying to find an applied force that increases normal force enough so that the force of friction counteracts the force of gravity down the plane, not the net force. The net force must be zero. Please show your work for this calculation, and i'll give it a look.

Okay, well my scanner is on the fritz at the moment, but as soon as I fix it, sure thing.

Related to Friction: A box at rest on a slope

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other.

2. How does friction affect a box at rest on a slope?

Friction plays a crucial role in keeping the box at rest on a slope. Without friction, the box would slide down the slope due to the force of gravity.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction on a box at rest on a slope?

The amount of friction on a box at rest on a slope is affected by the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the box, and the angle of the slope.

4. How can friction be reduced on a box at rest on a slope?

Friction can be reduced on a box at rest on a slope by using a smooth surface or by applying a lubricant between the surfaces in contact.

5. Can friction ever be completely eliminated on a box at rest on a slope?

No, friction can never be completely eliminated on a box at rest on a slope. However, it can be reduced to a very low level by using extremely smooth surfaces or by using specialized materials with low friction coefficients.