Freshmen in college seeking advice

• Schools
  • Thread starter Skynt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary: M.I.T. , Stanford, etc.?No, those are all great schools but you would not be eligible for a lot of the programs they have unless you have a really strong record.
Skynt
I'm currently in an engineering program and planning to go and get an electrical engineering degree. I realize that I may be getting ahead of myself, but I have been wondering what it takes to get into a postgraduate program for a master's degree. Currently I have been doing great in my courses, especially math, holding a 4.0 GPA (which I hope I can continue when the courses get even harder). I don't foresee my performance waning in the future since I love the
material and classes so far.

My main question is this: What exactly does one need to get into a good postgraduate program record-wise? What about extra-curricular activities if they still hold relevance in college? What about dream schools like M.I.T. , Stanford, etc.? I want to make a good run of college, and I don't want that to be the end. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Skynt said:
What exactly does one need to get into a good postgraduate program record-wise? What about extra-curricular activities if they still hold relevance in college?
As said in about 7 zillion similar threads, "research, research, research". Preferably not of the showing up and getting coffee variety. It's great if you get published, but at least make enough of an impact in your research that your adviser can write you a decent recommendation. Remember, recommendations count for a lot in the grad school admissions process, so make sure your professors know who you are (for good reasons, obviously.) Build relationships with faculty and get out there. Extra-curriculars are sometimes a way to do this; one professor at my school recruits his undergrad research crew from students who are active in the club he advises.

Only extracurricular activities that are related to your field are helpful though, anything else will in no way help out for grad school. You should also try to get research internships because this will introduce you to new fields of research plus you will get to know another researcher who can write you a letter of recommendation.

Related to Freshmen in college seeking advice

1. How can I manage my time effectively as a college freshman?

Time management is a crucial skill in college. To effectively manage your time, create a schedule and prioritize your tasks. Make use of breaks between classes to study or complete assignments. Avoid procrastination and try to stay on top of your workload.

2. How do I make friends in college?

Making friends in college can seem daunting, but remember that everyone else is in the same boat as you. Join clubs or organizations that align with your interests, attend campus events, and be open to meeting new people. Don't be afraid to strike up conversations and be yourself.

3. How do I handle homesickness as a college freshman?

Feeling homesick is a common experience for freshmen in college. To cope with homesickness, stay connected with your family and friends back home through phone calls or video chats. Get involved in campus activities and make new friends. Remember that it's normal to feel homesick, but it will get better with time.

4. What are some study tips for college freshmen?

College courses can be challenging, so it's important to develop effective study habits. Attend all your classes, take good notes, and review them regularly. Don't cram for exams; instead, study in smaller chunks over a longer period of time. Utilize campus resources such as tutoring or study groups if needed.

5. How can I balance academics and a social life in college?

Balancing academics and a social life can be tricky, but it's important to find a healthy balance. Make sure to prioritize your academic responsibilities and schedule in time for studying and completing assignments. Don't be afraid to say no to social events if you have important schoolwork to do. Remember to also make time for self-care and relaxation.