Fresh start Love Mechanical engineering but dont know what to do

In summary, Jake is a high school graduate in his first semester of college, considering mechanical engineering as a major. He is seeking guidance and is interested in the various job opportunities available in this field. Mechanical engineers work on a variety of devices and can also pursue careers in finance, management, and other fields. Jake is advised to start looking for internships and to focus on developing a strong resume throughout college.
Writeup123
Hello my name is Jake I am fresh out of high school and in my first semester of school. Over the past few years I have been leaning more and more tward mechanical engineering as a major however the field seems so open I can't decide what is correct for me. I guess I am just asking for a little guidance. I love anything mechanical, ever since I was little I was pulling stuff apart and fixing it so it seems like a natural career for me. I am just trying to figure out what a mechanical engineer would do and what are some of the types of jobs they have to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Writeup123 said:
Hello my name is Jake I am fresh out of high school and in my first semester of school. Over the past few years I have been leaning more and more tward mechanical engineering as a major however the field seems so open I can't decide what is correct for me. I guess I am just asking for a little guidance. I love anything mechanical, ever since I was little I was pulling stuff apart and fixing it so it seems like a natural career for me. I am just trying to figure out what a mechanical engineer would do and what are some of the types of jobs they have to do.

Hi Jake. From http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm:
Mechanical engineers research, design, develop, manufacture, and test tools, engines, machines, and other mechanical devices. Mechanical engineering is one of the broadest engineering disciplines. Engineers in this discipline work on power-producing machines such as electric generators, internal combustion engines, and steam and gas turbines. They also work on power-using machines such as refrigeration and air-conditioning equipment, machine tools, material handling systems, elevators and escalators, industrial production equipment, and robots used in manufacturing. Mechanical engineers also design tools that other engineers need for their work. In addition, mechanical engineers work in manufacturing or agriculture production, maintenance, or technical sales; many become administrators or managers.​
A mechanical engineering degree will also qualify you for jobs like http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos016.htm. Mechanical engineers, depending on their complete resume with GPA etc can also end up with any sort of finance job except straight accounting, management consulting, operations research or consulting, technical sales, or a number of other roles. Typical starting salaries are near $60k. You will have many career options available to you as an ME, and if you enjoy the work you should be more committed to your major and do relatively well with your GPA etc.

If your interests are what you say they are, you can't go wrong with a mechanical engineering major. I do suggest you get with career services and start looking for internships and exploring where graduates from your school (and others) have gone in the past. Companies will want to hook you early and you don't have to be a junior to get internships. Bottom line: don't worry about your choice in major, but keep an eye on jobs, internships, and how you are developing your overall resume throughout college, and you'll be just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello Jake,

It's great to hear that you have a passion for mechanical engineering! It's a field that offers a wide range of opportunities and allows you to use your love for all things mechanical. As a mechanical engineer, you will be responsible for designing, analyzing, and manufacturing various mechanical systems and components. This can include anything from engines and machines to vehicles and robotics.

One of the great things about mechanical engineering is that it offers a diverse set of job options. You could work in industries such as automotive, aerospace, energy, manufacturing, or even research and development. Some common job titles for mechanical engineers include design engineer, project engineer, product development engineer, and research engineer.

To help you decide on a specific career path within mechanical engineering, I would recommend exploring the different industries and job roles available. You could also reach out to professionals in the field and ask them about their experiences and what they enjoy most about their jobs. Additionally, internships or co-op programs can give you hands-on experience and help you determine which area of mechanical engineering you are most interested in.

I wish you the best of luck in your studies and future career as a mechanical engineer! Keep exploring and don't be afraid to ask for guidance along the way.

Related to Fresh start Love Mechanical engineering but dont know what to do

1. What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that involves the design, analysis, and manufacture of mechanical systems. It applies principles of physics, mathematics, and materials science to develop and improve various machines and technologies that are used in our daily lives.

2. What are some career options in mechanical engineering?

There are a wide range of career options in mechanical engineering, including roles in automotive, aerospace, energy, manufacturing, and robotics industries. Some common job titles include mechanical engineer, design engineer, project engineer, and research and development engineer.

3. What skills are required to be successful in mechanical engineering?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of math, physics, and mechanics are essential for success in mechanical engineering. Other important skills include computer-aided design (CAD) proficiency, attention to detail, and effective communication.

4. How can I decide if mechanical engineering is the right field for me?

If you have a natural curiosity for how things work and enjoy solving complex problems, mechanical engineering may be a good fit for you. It's also important to have a passion for math and science, as well as a strong drive to continuously learn and improve your skills.

5. What steps can I take to pursue a career in mechanical engineering?

To start a career in mechanical engineering, it's important to obtain a degree in the field. This can be a bachelor's degree for entry-level positions or a master's degree for more advanced roles. It's also beneficial to gain hands-on experience through internships or co-op programs. Networking and building connections in the industry can also help in finding job opportunities.