Frequency of vibration for non-uniform membrane - Partial Differential Equations

In summary, the frequency of vibration for a non-uniform membrane can be calculated using the formula f=\sqrt{\lambda/\rho}, where \rho is the effective mass density defined as \rho = \int c^{-2}(x,y) \mathrm{dA}.
ThomBoh
Frequency of vibration for non-uniform membrane -- Partial Differential Equations

Hi guys, I'm having a lot of trouble with a conceptual problem in my PDE's homework. I don't think the answer involves a lot of work, I think I'm just not understanding something...

Homework Statement

Consider the 2-D wave equation with c (speed) being non-uniform across the membrane (whose shape is arbitrary). That is it is a function of x and y => c = c(x,y).

what is the frequency of vibration associated with each eigenvalue??

Homework Equations

2-d wave equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I've shown in a previous part of the question that after you separate out the time dependence of the solution, you're left with a 2-d spatial sturm-liouville problem of this form:

[tex]\nabla[/tex]2u(x,y) + [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{(c(x,y))^2}[/tex]u(x,y) = 0

where u(x,y) is the vertical displacement of the membrane at (x,y).

This PDE isn't seperable so I really don't think it's asking me to solve it to find the frequencies. It wants the nth frequency in terms of the nth eigenvalue lambda. I know that if it were uniform, the frequency should be c*[tex]\sqrt{\lambda}[/tex], but i doubt that's the case for spatially varying c... right? I really feel like i can't connect the dots on this one...

thanks for any suggestions you can offer!

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is that the frequency of vibration associated with each eigenvalue is given by f=\sqrt{\lambda/\rho}, where \rho is the effective mass density, which is defined as \rho = \int c^{-2}(x,y) \mathrm{dA}, where dA is the area element. This formula follows from the definition of the frequency of vibration in terms of the effective mass density and the eigenvalue.

Related to Frequency of vibration for non-uniform membrane - Partial Differential Equations

1. What is the significance of studying the frequency of vibration for non-uniform membrane?

The frequency of vibration for a non-uniform membrane is an important characteristic that can provide insights into the structural integrity and behavior of the membrane. It can also be used to predict the membrane's response to external forces and determine its natural modes of vibration.

2. How is the frequency of vibration for a non-uniform membrane calculated?

The frequency of vibration for a non-uniform membrane is typically calculated using partial differential equations, which involve solving complex mathematical equations based on the membrane's physical properties such as thickness, material properties, and boundary conditions.

3. What factors can affect the frequency of vibration for a non-uniform membrane?

The frequency of vibration for a non-uniform membrane can be affected by various factors such as the membrane's material properties, dimensions, shape, and boundary conditions. Changes in these factors can lead to changes in the natural frequency of the membrane.

4. How does the frequency of vibration for a non-uniform membrane impact its practical applications?

The frequency of vibration for a non-uniform membrane can have a significant impact on its practical applications. For example, in musical instruments, the frequency of vibration determines the pitch of the sound produced. In engineering structures, it can affect the stability and durability of the membrane under different loading conditions.

5. Are there any real-world examples where the study of frequency of vibration for non-uniform membrane is crucial?

Yes, there are several real-world examples where the study of frequency of vibration for non-uniform membrane is crucial. These include the design and analysis of musical instruments, aerospace structures, and biomedical devices. It is also important in understanding the behavior of biological membranes, such as cell membranes, in response to external stimuli.