Frequency of oscillation of a ball?

In summary, the person is seeking help with determining the natural frequency of a ball for a physics project. They provide a link to a similar experiment and mention that they do not understand the concept of natural frequency. The article they provide discusses how sound waves are created by vibrating objects and how different objects have different natural frequencies. The person also mentions a formula for calculating frequency and asks for clarification on how it relates to their project.
pimm94

Homework Statement

Hi,

For one of my physics projects i need the natural frequency, or frequency of oscillation of a ball. I don't even know where to start. I've got a short article of an experiment similar to mine where they also use this natural frequency. So if my story is unclear, which I am sure it is, you can take a look and see if that makes it any clearer.

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~scidemos/OscillationsWaves/SaddleShape/SaddleShape.html

Thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

None so far

The Attempt at a Solution

Also, none so far, as i don't understand it really, sorry.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I found out a text which may help you to understand what natural frequency is:

"As has been previously mentioned in this unit, a sound wave is created as a result of a vibrating object. The vibrating object is the source of the disturbance that moves through the medium. The vibrating object that creates the disturbance could be the vocal cords of a person, the vibrating string and soundboard of a guitar or violin, the vibrating tines of a tuning fork, or the vibrating diaphragm of a radio speaker. Any object that vibrates will create a sound. The sound could be musical or it could be noisy; but regardless of its quality, the sound wave is created by a vibrating object.

Nearly all objects, when hit or struck or plucked or strummed or somehow disturbed, will vibrate. If you drop a meter stick or pencil on the floor, it will begin to vibrate. If you pluck a guitar string, it will begin to vibrate. If you blow over the top of a pop bottle, the air inside will vibrate. When each of these objects vibrates, they tend to vibrate at a particular frequency or a set of frequencies. The frequency or frequencies at which an object tends to vibrate with when hit, struck, plucked, strummed or somehow disturbed is known as the natural frequency of the object. If the amplitudes of the vibrations are large enough and if natural frequency is within the human frequency range, then the vibrating object will produce sound waves that are audible.

All objects have a natural frequency or set of frequencies at which they vibrate. The quality or timbre of the sound produced by a vibrating object is dependent upon the natural frequencies of the sound waves produced by the objects. Some objects tend to vibrate at a single frequency and they are often said to produce a pure tone. A flute tends to vibrate at a single frequency, producing a very pure tone. Other objects vibrate and produce more complex waves with a set of frequencies that have a whole number mathematical relationship between them; these are said to produce a rich sound. A tuba tends to vibrate at a set of frequencies that are mathematically related by whole number ratios; it produces a rich tone. Still other objects will vibrate at a set of multiple frequencies that have no simple mathematical relationship between them. These objects are not musical at all and the sounds that they create could be described as noise. When a meter stick or pencil is dropped on the floor, it vibrates with a number of frequencies, producing a complex sound wave that is clanky and noisy."

Also I found a formula:
Frequency (omega) is equal to the speed of vibration divided by the wavelength (lambda).
ω=v/λ

Likes 1 person
pimm94 said:

Homework Statement

Hi,

For one of my physics projects i need the natural frequency, or frequency of oscillation of a ball. I don't even know where to start. I've got a short article of an experiment similar to mine where they also use this natural frequency. So if my story is unclear, which I am sure it is, you can take a look and see if that makes it any clearer.

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~scidemos/OscillationsWaves/SaddleShape/SaddleShape.html

Thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

None so far

The Attempt at a Solution

Also, none so far, as i don't understand it really, sorry.

The short article you linked is quite interesting but seems unrelated to your question. Can you clarify?

dauto said:
The short article you linked is quite interesting but seems unrelated to your question. Can you clarify?

I think he's problem is about this part:
The interval of rotational speeds leading to stability is centered about 147RPM (2.45 Hz) which is indeed twice the ball's natural frequency.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. The natural frequency, or frequency of oscillation, of a ball can be calculated using the equation f = 1/T, where f is the frequency and T is the period of the oscillation. The period can be measured by timing how long it takes for the ball to complete one full oscillation, or back-and-forth motion.

In the experiment you linked, they use a saddle-shaped surface to demonstrate the natural frequency of a ball. The frequency of oscillation can be affected by the properties of the ball, such as its material, size, and shape, as well as the surface on which it is oscillating. The saddle shape of the surface allows for a more controlled and consistent oscillation, making it easier to measure the frequency.

I would recommend setting up your own experiment with a ball and a timer to measure the period, and then using the equation f = 1/T to calculate the frequency. You can also vary the properties of the ball and the surface to see how it affects the natural frequency. I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

Related to Frequency of oscillation of a ball?

1) What is the frequency of oscillation of a ball?

The frequency of oscillation of a ball refers to the number of complete back-and-forth cycles the ball goes through in one second. It is measured in Hertz (Hz) and is dependent on the properties of the ball and the forces acting on it.

2) How is the frequency of oscillation of a ball affected by its mass?

The frequency of oscillation of a ball is inversely proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of the ball increases, the frequency decreases. This is because a heavier ball will require more force to move it back and forth at the same rate.

3) What is the relationship between the frequency of oscillation and the stiffness of a ball?

The frequency of oscillation is directly proportional to the stiffness of a ball. This means that as the stiffness of the ball increases, the frequency also increases. Stiffer balls require more force to compress and therefore have a higher frequency of oscillation.

4) Can the frequency of oscillation of a ball be changed?

Yes, the frequency of oscillation of a ball can be changed by altering the properties of the ball or the forces acting on it. For example, changing the mass or stiffness of the ball, or changing the surface it is bouncing on, can affect its frequency of oscillation.

5) How is the frequency of oscillation of a ball related to its period?

The frequency of oscillation and the period of a ball are inversely proportional. The period refers to the time it takes for the ball to complete one full back-and-forth cycle, while the frequency is the number of cycles per second. This means that as the frequency increases, the period decreases, and vice versa.