Finding frequency of spring and friction system

In summary: I had forgotten that the amplitude is maximum when the resonant frequency is reached. Thanks for clarifying that.
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
f=2(pi)/w
So first I made an equation representing the forces

Fnet=kx-12.8v

a=1/m(kx-12.8v).

Now I am not really sure how to get w from this. I could argue the mass is at its max amplitude when a=0, but that wouldn't help me find w. If I say x(t)=kx-12.8v, then 1/m would be w^2, but this isn't right. The answer is suppose to be f=0.98 Hz

Attachments

• question.PNG
    question.PNG
    11.8 KB · Views: 90
Physics news on Phys.org
JoeyBob said:
Homework Statement:: See attached
Relevant Equations:: f=2(pi)/w

could argue the mass is at its max amplitude when a=0, but that wouldn't help me find w.
You cannot even argue that. When a = 0, the mass has maximum speed for that part of the cycle. Have you studied damped harmonic motion? How does the amplitude depend on the driving force frequency when the motion is underdamped?

kuruman said:
You cannot even argue that. When a = 0, the mass has maximum speed for that part of the cycle. Have you studied damped harmonic motion? How does the amplitude depend on the driving force frequency when the motion is underdamped?

w=sqrt(k/m-(b/2m)^2) ? But then what is b?

Edit if B is the -12.8, I get 1.02 for f which is wrong.

JoeyBob said:
w=sqrt(k/m-(b/2m)^2) ? But then what is b?

Edit if B is the -12.8, I get 1.02 for f which is wrong.
You seem to be using a formula for underdamped oscillation of an unforced system. An unforced system has no resonance to consider, so no large amplitude swings develop.
This system is forced.
@kuruman, I get 1.14Hz. What do you get?

haruspex said:
@kuruman, I get 1.14Hz. What do you get?
I get 0.978 Hz. This is using the equation for the resonant frequency posted by OP and with which I agree $$f_r=\frac{1}{2\pi}\sqrt{\frac{k}{m} - \frac{b^2}{4m^2}}$$using the given values m = 1.76 kg, k = 89.8 N/m and b = 12.8 N⋅s/m. I get 1.14 Hz using the same equation with b = 0 (no damping).

kuruman said:
I get 0.978 Hz. This is using the equation for the resonant frequency posted by OP and with which I agree $$f_r=\frac{1}{2\pi}\sqrt{\frac{k}{m} - \frac{b^2}{4m^2}}$$using the given values m = 1.76 kg, k = 89.8 N/m and b = 12.8 N⋅s/m. I get 1.14 Hz using the same equation with b = 0 (no damping).
Seems to me that is the equation for the oscillation frequency of an unforced underdamped system. It is not the resonant frequency of a forced damped system, which is simply the natural (undamped) frequency.
See e.g. section 2.3 of https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics...-fall-2016/syllabus/MIT8_03SCF16_Text_Ch2.pdf and https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny-osuniversityphysics/chapter/15-6-forced-oscillations/.

haruspex said:
Seems to me that is the equation for the oscillation frequency of an unforced underdamped system.
That is correct. Section 2.3 of the MIT reference talks about maximum transfer of power which indeed occurs at the resonant frequency, ##\omega_0=\sqrt{k/m}.## The question here is asking "for what frequency ##\dots~##will the mass undergo large amplitude oscillations?"

To answer that question one needs to maximize the amplitude which in the SUNY reference you provided should be $$A=\frac{F_0}{\sqrt{m^2 \left(\omega ^2-\omega _0^2\right)^2+b^2 \omega ^2}}.$$ Note the term ##m^2## in the denominator as opposed to just ##m## shown in the reference. The correction is needed because ##b## has dimensions of [m][ω]. I checked the corrected equation against my "Classical Mechanics by John R. Taylor" textbook and there is agreement. Setting the derivative equal to zero and solving for ##\omega## yields the frequency at which the amplitude is maximum.

The numerical answer is neither 1.14 Hz nor 0.98 Hz. This is still a "live" homework problem so I stop here. In my defense, I did remember that maximum amplitude is not at the natural frequency but at a frequency that involves the damping constant. However I was remiss in accepting the purported answer without further checking.

Likes haruspex
kuruman said:
That is correct. Section 2.3 of the MIT reference talks about maximum transfer of power which indeed occurs at the resonant frequency, ##\omega_0=\sqrt{k/m}.## The question here is asking "for what frequency ##\dots~##will the mass undergo large amplitude oscillations?"

To answer that question one needs to maximize the amplitude which in the SUNY reference you provided should be $$A=\frac{F_0}{\sqrt{m^2 \left(\omega ^2-\omega _0^2\right)^2+b^2 \omega ^2}}.$$ Note the term ##m^2## in the denominator as opposed to just ##m## shown in the reference. The correction is needed because ##b## has dimensions of [m][ω]. I checked the corrected equation against my "Classical Mechanics by John R. Taylor" textbook and there is agreement. Setting the derivative equal to zero and solving for ##\omega## yields the frequency at which the amplitude is maximum.

The numerical answer is neither 1.14 Hz nor 0.98 Hz. This is still a "live" homework problem so I stop here. In my defense, I did remember that maximum amplitude is not at the natural frequency but at a frequency that involves the damping constant. However I was remiss in accepting the purported answer without further checking.
Ah, yes, I confused tuning the driving frequency to maximise amplitude with tuning the natural frequency. It's less than 0.98, right?
In terms of the algebra at the link I posted (which writes Γ for b/m), it is a matter of maximising A2+B2.

haruspex said:
Ah, yes, I confused tuning the driving frequency to maximise amplitude with tuning the natural frequency. It's less than 0.98, right?
In terms of the algebra at the link I posted (which writes Γ for b/m), it is a matter of maximising A2+B2.
Yes, the answer I got is less than 0.98 Hz. Yes, in terms of the link you posted one ought to maximize A2+B2 and the answer should be the same. I didn't do it that way, but if you do, we can compare numerical answers by PM.

Related to Finding frequency of spring and friction system

1. How do you calculate the frequency of a spring and friction system?

The frequency of a spring and friction system can be calculated using the formula f = 1 / (2π√(m/k)), where f is the frequency in Hertz, m is the mass of the object attached to the spring, and k is the spring constant.

2. What factors affect the frequency of a spring and friction system?

The frequency of a spring and friction system can be affected by the mass of the object attached to the spring, the spring constant, and the amount of friction present in the system. Other factors such as temperature and external forces may also have an impact.

3. How does friction affect the frequency of a spring and friction system?

Friction can decrease the frequency of a spring and friction system by absorbing some of the energy that would otherwise contribute to the oscillations of the system. This can result in a lower frequency and shorter period of oscillation.

4. Can the frequency of a spring and friction system be changed?

Yes, the frequency of a spring and friction system can be changed by altering the mass of the object attached to the spring, adjusting the spring constant, or reducing the amount of friction in the system. External forces and temperature changes can also impact the frequency.

5. How can the frequency of a spring and friction system be measured?

The frequency of a spring and friction system can be measured using a stopwatch and counting the number of oscillations in a given time period. It can also be measured using specialized equipment such as a frequency meter or an oscilloscope.