Frequency of a wave and capacitance

In summary, the frequency of electromagnetic waves emitted by a capacitor as it discharges depends on how it discharges and not necessarily on the capacitance. However, a larger capacitor has a higher energy storage capacity.
chamsy
Hi,

I have read that as a capacitor discharges, it emits electromegnetic waves. Plz tell me does the frequency of these waves increase as the capacitance of the capacitor increases.

Thanks a lot,
Chamal.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by chamsy
Hi,

I have read that as a capacitor discharges, it emits electromegnetic waves. Plz tell me does the frequency of these waves increase as the capacitance of the capacitor increases.

Thanks a lot,
Chamal.

I think that what you stated pretty much is an example of a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. There are MANY things that can happen when a capacitor discharges. It just depends on HOW it discharges. On its own, a capacitor discharging slowly through its own leakage will not emit any noticeable EM waves. Take a capacitor and charge it, then quickly discharge it by shorting it leads, then yes, it will emit EM waves because of the arcing. It can easily be proven by doing this next to an AM radio. You will hear it in the speaker.

One thing average didn't answer was the capacity question. The larger the capacitor ( in terms of Farads ) is the more energy it stores.This tho has no baring on the question of Fq

Related to Frequency of a wave and capacitance

1. What is the relationship between frequency of a wave and capacitance?

The frequency of a wave and capacitance are inversely proportional - as one increases, the other decreases, and vice versa. This can be mathematically expressed as: f ∝ 1/C, where f is the frequency and C is the capacitance.

2. How does frequency affect the behavior of a capacitor?

The frequency of a wave affects the behavior of a capacitor by determining its reactance, or opposition to the flow of electric current. As the frequency increases, the reactance also increases, thus reducing the amount of current that can pass through the capacitor.

3. Can the frequency of a wave be changed by altering the capacitance?

Yes, the frequency of a wave can be changed by altering the capacitance. This can be done by adjusting the size or distance between the plates of a capacitor, or by adding or removing capacitors in a circuit.

4. How is frequency measured in a circuit?

Frequency is typically measured in Hertz (Hz) in a circuit. This can be done using a frequency meter or by calculating it using the formula: f = 1/T, where f is the frequency and T is the period of the wave.

5. Does the frequency of a wave affect the energy stored in a capacitor?

Yes, the frequency of a wave does affect the energy stored in a capacitor. Higher frequencies result in higher energy storage, as the capacitor has less time to discharge between each cycle of the wave. This is why capacitors are often used in high frequency applications.