Frequency Dependence of Dielectric Strength

In summary, the relation between frequency and dielectric strength is often studied through the Paschen curve, which shows the breakdown voltage of a gas as a function of pressure and electrode separation. Additionally, there are studies on the frequency effects on atmospheric pressure breakdowns, specifically in the High Frequency and Very High Frequency ranges. However, standing waves may also play a role in affecting dielectric strength.
FlufferNuterFSU
Does anyone know what the relation between frequency and dielectric strength is? I'm mainly concerned with the dielectric strength of air in the High Frequency and Very High Frequency Ranges (3MHz - 300MHz). Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
FlufferNuterFSU said:
Does anyone know what the relation between frequency and dielectric strength is? I'm mainly concerned with the dielectric strength of air in the High Frequency and Very High Frequency Ranges (3MHz - 300MHz). Thanks.

I'm not sure it helps, but I googled "paschen curve" +frequency, and got some reasonable hits. Here's an abstract for a paper that may apply:

http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-preview.axd?code=q76t632361113413&size=largest

Ooo, and this abstract mentions frequency effects in atmospheric pressure breakdowns:

http://jap.aip.org/japiau/v89/i1/p15_s1?isAuthorized=no

This is for argon gas:

http://pop.aip.org/phpaen/v10/i3/p875_s1?isAuthorized=no

Last edited by a moderator:
Standing waves could prove to be more of an issue

Related to Frequency Dependence of Dielectric Strength

1. What is the frequency dependence of dielectric strength?

The frequency dependence of dielectric strength refers to the relationship between the strength or ability of a material to resist electrical breakdown and the frequency of the applied electric field. This means that the dielectric strength of a material may vary depending on the frequency of the electric field it is exposed to.

2. Why does the dielectric strength vary with frequency?

The dielectric strength varies with frequency due to the presence of polar molecules in the material. When exposed to an electric field, these molecules align themselves causing a buildup of charge at the interface. At low frequencies, the molecules have time to realign and reduce the buildup of charge, while at high frequencies, the molecules do not have enough time to realign, resulting in a higher buildup of charge and thus a lower dielectric strength.

3. Does the frequency dependence of dielectric strength apply to all materials?

Yes, the frequency dependence of dielectric strength applies to all materials. However, the degree of variation may differ depending on the properties of the material, such as its molecular structure and composition.

4. How is the frequency dependence of dielectric strength measured?

The frequency dependence of dielectric strength is typically measured using a dielectric spectroscopy technique. This involves subjecting the material to an alternating electric field of varying frequencies and measuring the resulting dielectric breakdown voltage. The data is then plotted on a graph to show the relationship between frequency and dielectric strength.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding frequency dependence of dielectric strength?

Understanding the frequency dependence of dielectric strength is important in designing and selecting materials for electrical insulation purposes. It also has practical applications in the development of electronic devices and high voltage equipment, as well as in the field of medical imaging where it is used to improve the quality of MRI images.