French Student Asks About High School Programs in USA

In summary, the American high school science and math curriculum is not as advanced as the French curriculum. In the US, the highest level of math one can take in high school is typically Calculus 2, with additional options available such as AP courses. However, there is often a catch-up phase for freshmen in university due to the weaker elementary education in the sciences and math.
Ksitov
Hi everybody ! I'm French and I have any questions.

- What is the program of physics at the high school? (In USA)
- What is the program of mathematics at the high school? (In USA)

I'm new on PF and I'm very interesting by Physics. I go to a english's forum because I want to learn to speak english... Because, I have a bad level in english xD !

Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
- What is the program of physics at the high school? (In USA)
- What is the program of mathematics at the high school? (In USA)

I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking what kind of classes one might expect to have in high school? I can't speak for physics, but for mathematics, the highest level you can reach before college is the second Calculus class (of three), and from what I understand, it's not as good as going through the college sequence.

For exemple, in my classe we have in Physics:

- Mechanical Wave
- Radioactivity and Nuclear Energy
- Mechanical of Newton and harmonic oscillator
- Electricity (RC, RL, RLC)
- A little Physic Quantic (very little...)

This is far more advanced than American high scool science courses.

In the US, the elementary education is very weak in the sciences and math. This is not true at the university level so there is often a big catch-up phase for the university freshmen.

Ksitov the things you listed in your last post are part of the AP Physics C: Mechanics class. There are two AP Physics C classes, one is mechanics and the other is electricity and magnetism. They are both calculus based, but there is AP Physics B which is algebra based. If you're unfamiliar with AP classes, they're basically like college classes (atleast the material is meant to be college level), and if you do well on the exam your college may award you credit for that class or allow you to skip that class in university. The highest level math you can take with these AP courses is BC Calculus, which is equivalent to Calculus 2 (integral & applications and series calculus). However some high schools allow you to study multivariable calculus your senior year if you've finished AP BC Calc. your junior year, but it will not count for college credit.

Related to French Student Asks About High School Programs in USA

1. What are the differences between French and American high school programs?

The main difference between French and American high school programs is the educational system. In France, students have a more structured and specialized curriculum, while in the US, students have more flexibility in choosing their courses. In addition, American high schools often offer a wider range of extracurricular activities and sports programs.

2. Are there any specific requirements for French students to attend high school in the USA?

Yes, there are certain requirements for French students to attend high school in the USA. They must have a valid passport, obtain a student visa, and have proof of sufficient funds to cover tuition and living expenses. They may also need to take a standardized language proficiency test, such as the TOEFL, if their English proficiency is not at a certain level.

3. How can I find and apply for high school programs in the USA?

There are several ways to find and apply for high school programs in the USA. You can research and contact individual schools directly, use a reputable study abroad agency, or apply through a student exchange program. Make sure to carefully review the application requirements and deadlines for each program.

4. Can I transfer credits from a high school program in the USA back to my French school?

It depends on your French school's policies. Some schools may accept transfer credits from American high schools, while others may not. It is important to discuss this with your school before applying to a high school program in the USA.

5. How can I prepare for the cultural differences when attending high school in the USA?

To prepare for the cultural differences when attending high school in the USA, it is helpful to research and learn about American customs, traditions, and daily life. You can also connect with current or past students who have attended high school in the USA to get their insights and advice. Being open-minded and ready to adapt to new experiences will also help with the cultural adjustment.