Free Modules w/Multiple Bases: 2nd Issue w/Example 5 (Paul E. Bland)

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with Example 5 in Paul E. Bland's book "Rings and Their Modules" regarding a module with two bases. Caffeinemachine helps to clarify one issue, but the conversation continues to try and understand Bland's argument. The example is used to illustrate the concept of directly finite and infinite modules. Bland concludes that the module in question has a basis with one element and a basis with two elements, showing that an $R$-module can have bases of different cardinality.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am trying to understand Section 2.2 on free modules and need help with Example 5 showing a module with two bases ... ...

Thanks to Caffeinemachine, I have largely clarified one issue/problem I had with Example 5, but now have a second, separate issue ... (see below)Example 5 reads as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3577In an argument that begins: (see above text from Bland)

" ... ... So if \(\displaystyle R = \text{End}_{ \mathbb{Z} } (M)\), then ... ... "

Bland concludes that

" ... ... \(\displaystyle R\) has a basis with one element and a basis with two elements ... ... "

To say that I do not follow this argument would be an understatement!

Can someone help me to understand Bland's argument?

I would appreciate help in this matter ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

I'm guessing that statement was confusing since in a vector space setting, bases of the same vector space have the same cardinality. What Bland showed in his example is that an $R$-module may have two bases of different cardinality. For other examples, read the article in the following link:

example of free module with bases of diffrent cardinality | planetmath.org

He's also doing this example to motivate the concept of directly finite and infinite modules. Already, you know that finite dimensional vector spaces are directly finite modules. In Bland's example, however, $M$ is a directly infinite module.

Related to Free Modules w/Multiple Bases: 2nd Issue w/Example 5 (Paul E. Bland)

What is a free module with multiple bases?

A free module with multiple bases is a mathematical structure that can be described as a vector space with more than one basis. This means that the elements of the module can be represented in multiple ways using different combinations of basis vectors.

What is the significance of the 2nd issue in Paul E. Bland's example 5?

The 2nd issue in Paul E. Bland's example 5 refers to a specific problem or scenario that arises when working with free modules with multiple bases. In this case, it is related to the existence of a non-zero element that can be expressed in two different ways using two different bases.

How are free modules with multiple bases used in scientific research?

Free modules with multiple bases have many applications in scientific research, particularly in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are used to model complex systems and phenomena, and to analyze and solve problems involving multiple variables and parameters.

What are some key properties of free modules with multiple bases?

Some key properties of free modules with multiple bases include the ability to be expressed in different bases, the existence of a basis for the module, and the ability to perform operations such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication. These properties make them useful tools in various mathematical and scientific contexts.

Are there any limitations to using free modules with multiple bases?

Like any mathematical concept, free modules with multiple bases have certain limitations. For example, they may not be applicable to all types of systems or may not be able to accurately model certain complex phenomena. It is important to carefully consider the specific context and application before using free modules with multiple bases.