Are there programs available to digitize a graph from an image?

• Thread starter nbo10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, digitizing a graph involves converting a physical graph into a digital format for easier manipulation and sharing. This requires tools such as a scanner or camera and image editing or graphing software. To ensure accuracy, it is important to use high-quality equipment and double-check data points. Most types of graphs can be digitized, but some limitations include difficulty capturing complex or small data points and the inability to capture additional information or annotations.
nbo10
I'm looking for a program that can read a jpeg, or any other graphic format, of a graph or plot and return a x,y list. Can anyone help out? I really don't have the time to write the code my self, or do I want to write the code my self. Thanks

JMD

Computer science news on Phys.org
Google is your friend!

Something like this:

http://www.digitizeit.de/

or like this:

http://www.uniphiz.com/digitizing.htm

: Yes, there are several programs available that can digitize a graph from an image. Some popular options include GraphClick, WebPlotDigitizer, and GetData Graph Digitizer. These programs allow you to upload an image of a graph or plot and then extract the data points in a x,y list format. They also have features to adjust for any skew or distortion in the image and allow for customization of the output data. I would recommend researching and trying out these programs to find the best fit for your needs. It will save you time and effort from manually writing the code yourself. Best of luck!

1. What is the purpose of digitizing a graph?

The purpose of digitizing a graph is to convert a physical or hard copy graph into a digital format. This allows for easier manipulation and analysis of the data, as well as the ability to share the graph electronically.

2. What tools are needed to digitize a graph?

To digitize a graph, you will need a scanner or camera to capture the image, as well as image editing software or graphing software. There are also specialized digitizing software programs available for this purpose.

3. How do I ensure accuracy when digitizing a graph?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to use a high-quality scanner or camera and to properly calibrate the software. It is also recommended to double-check the data points and use multiple methods of digitizing to compare results.

4. Can I digitize any type of graph?

Yes, most types of graphs can be digitized, including line graphs, bar graphs, scatter plots, and more. However, some graphs with very small or complex data points may be more difficult to accurately digitize.

5. Are there any limitations to digitizing a graph?

One limitation of digitizing a graph is that it may not be possible to accurately capture all the data points, especially if the graph is very large or complex. Additionally, digitizing may not be able to capture any additional information or annotations that were present on the physical graph.