Free fall far away from Earth (integral substitution problem)

In summary, the problem involves finding the time t given a function for velocity and constants. The solution involves using the integral substitution method and trigonometric substitution to solve for t.
sanitykey
[SOLVED] Free fall far away from Earth (integral substitution problem)

Homework Statement

Given:

[tex]v(x) = -v_1\sqrt{\left(\frac{R}{x} - \frac{R}{h}\right)}[/tex]

Find the time t.

Homework Equations

Listed above where [tex]v_1 , R , h[/tex] are all constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]v(x) = \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]dt = \frac{dx}{\left[-v_1\sqrt{\left(\frac{R}{x} - \frac{R}{h}\right)}\right]}[/tex]

[tex]t = -\frac{1}{v_1}\int\frac{dx}{\left[\sqrt{\left(\frac{R}{x} - \frac{R}{h}\right)}\right]}[/tex]

I'm stuck on this integral but I'm convinced it's some kind of trigonometric substitution although i can't figure out which one. I've spent hours searching the internet for help and couldn't find anything so any help would be appreciated.

Perhaps if someone could at least point out which trigonometric substitution (if any at all) i should be trying to work with i'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
R/x - R/h =R(h-x)/hx.

The integrand becomes [1/(sqrt R)]*sqrt(hx)dx/sqrt(h-x). Put x = h*(sin^2 u).

It is now solved very easily. In the num, there is only sin^2u*du.

Thanks a lot that seemed to solve it for me ^_^

Related to Free fall far away from Earth (integral substitution problem)

1. What is free fall far away from Earth?

Free fall far away from Earth refers to the motion of an object under the influence of gravity without any other forces acting upon it. This is often studied in the context of objects falling from a great height, such as in space or on other planets.

2. How is free fall far away from Earth different from free fall on Earth?

The main difference between free fall far away from Earth and free fall on Earth is the strength of gravitational force. On Earth, the gravitational force is relatively constant, but in free fall far away from Earth, the gravitational force can vary greatly depending on the distance from the object causing the gravitational pull.

3. What is an integral substitution problem in the context of free fall far away from Earth?

An integral substitution problem in this context refers to using mathematical techniques, specifically integration by substitution, to solve for the position, velocity, or acceleration of an object in free fall far away from Earth. This allows us to better understand the motion of the object and make predictions about its behavior.

4. Why is it important to study free fall far away from Earth?

Studying free fall far away from Earth allows scientists to gain a better understanding of the laws of gravity and how they influence the motion of objects. This knowledge is not only important for space exploration and understanding other planets, but it also has practical applications, such as in designing spacecraft and understanding the behavior of objects in extreme environments.

5. What are some real-world examples of free fall far away from Earth?

A classic example of free fall far away from Earth is an object falling from a great height, such as a skydiver jumping out of a plane or a satellite orbiting a planet. Other examples include asteroids or comets falling towards the sun or a spacecraft landing on a distant planet.