Free fall and impact force calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of impact force in a scenario where a 27 pound box is thrown from 5 feet onto a concrete slab. The force will depend on the amount of time the impact takes and the properties of the falling object and the surface it is hitting. The individual is also looking to compare the impact force when using 16 screws versus 24 screws, and how it will transfer to the screws. They mention needing information on the section area of the screws and the shear modulus to make a comparison.
bama ing
first of all I have a case that is screwed in another case ,I like to know a basic way to calculate the impact force in the screws ,the are 16 screws, I try using the basic impact force formula and the conservation of energy in the free fall,but I am having problems since I don't have the D which apparently its the distance after the impact.The weigh of the box is 27 lbs and its throwed from 5 ft.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's impossible to know what the impact force is going to be without knowing some properties of the falling object and the surface they are hitting.

The force will depend on the amount of time the impact takes. With softer surface, impact will take longer, and forces will be lower.

thnax,can i incorporate that information to the formula,I mean if I findt hat kind of info

Impact force

I have a 27 pound box attached to a another box by 16 screws in 4 brackets one for every corner,I like to compare the effect of the impact if I put 16 screws or if I put 24(like the number of holes in the bracket).It would be dropped from 5 ft to a concrete slab,the material of the outside box its a TSC composite material.So I think what I need its the impact force that will received the box and that will tranfer to the screws,after that I can divided by the section area of the screws and compare that to the shear modulus,but I am not sure.

Related to Free fall and impact force calculation

1. What is free fall?

Free fall is the motion of an object under the influence of only gravity, with no other external forces acting upon it.

2. How is the time of free fall calculated?

The time of free fall can be calculated using the equation t = √(2h/g), where h is the height of the object and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

3. What is impact force?

Impact force is the force exerted on an object when it collides with another object or surface.

4. How is impact force calculated?

The impact force can be calculated using the equation F = m * Δv/t, where m is the mass of the object, Δv is the change in velocity, and t is the time of impact.

5. What factors affect the impact force during a free fall?

The impact force during a free fall is affected by the mass and velocity of the falling object, as well as the nature of the surface it impacts with (such as its hardness and elasticity).