Free edition of Purcell, Electricity and Magnetism

In summary, after 30 years since its original publication, the book "Electricity and Magnetism" by Purcell is still popular and available for use by authors and publishers without royalties after 1970. The third edition, which includes improvements such as SI units, new applications, and new problems, was published in 2013. However, in an effort to make the book more accessible to students who cannot afford the commercial version, a project to convert the 1965 edition into LaTeX format has been started. The project can be found on github and contributions are welcome. There is a discussion on whether to use SI units or CGS units, with some users preferring the latter for undergraduate texts. The project has encountered some legal issues,
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Thirty years after learning E&M from the wonderful book by Purcell, I noticed that the copyright page of my dog-eared copy of the 1965 edition includes a notice stating that it is available for use by authors and publishers on a royalty-free basis after 1970. The book has gone through two more editions since then, with many improvements. The third edition, by Purcell and Morin, is in print as of 2013. The third edition is great. It includes SI units, new applications, and new problems. I happily bought a copy as soon as it came out. However, I want to produce a nice, free, LaTeX-ed version of the 1965 edition to make this fantastic book available to students who don't have the money for a copy of the commercial version. Once it's in LaTeX format it can continue to be worked on and improved, in parallel with the commercial edition. (Once it's complete, the first thing I intend to do is redo the whole thing in SI units.)

The project I've started up is here: http://www.lightandmatter.com/purcell/ . There is a github page with the source code. To be polite, I've contacted the publisher and let them know what was up. They seemed a little nonplussed but didn't express any objections. I've offered my students small amounts of extra credit to help with the conversion to LaTeX, but frankly they're rather inefficient at it, and they don't save me much time relative to the time it would have taken to convert n pages myself. I've gotten some pretty good OCR output (which is included in a file on the github site), so it's not really a question of typing in the English text. The main work that needs to be done is just the conversion of the math, which requires both some knowledge of the subject and at least minimal facility with LaTeX.

If anyone here would like to contribute to this project, even by doing the math for a single page, that would be much appreciated. A pdf of the original book is available (legally, based on the license!) at a link from the project's web page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't do the SI units! It's a pest spreading rapidly these days. Even the great Jackson is spoiled by this. Only in the chapters on the relativistic covariant treatment (which anyway is the best one to start with in the 21st century if you ask me), he goes back to good old CGS units. I'd prefer rationalized Gauss units (Heaviside-Lorentz) as used in HEP.

vanhees71 said:
Don't do the SI units! It's a pest spreading rapidly these days. Even the great Jackson is spoiled by this. Only in the chapters on the relativistic covariant treatment (which anyway is the best one to start with in the 21st century if you ask me), he goes back to good old CGS units. I'd prefer rationalized Gauss units (Heaviside-Lorentz) as used in HEP.

I wholeheartedly agree. I would also propose to to for Heaviside-Lorentz.

vanhees71 said:
Don't do the SI units!

DrDu said:
I wholeheartedly agree. I would also propose to to for Heaviside-Lorentz.

Thanks for your comments. I currently plan to do a complete clone of the 1965 edition, with minimal changes, and only then produce a "fork" that suits my own preferences and biases, including SI units. So you'll have a version with cgs.

At this point I've finished converting the main body of the text (but not the problems), including all the math. I'm now going back through and adding the figures, trying to produce decent looking line art rather than simply pasting in the scans from the printed book, which would look horrible both on the screen and in print. I've done reasonable-looking versions of the figures through ch. 2. A couple of people have recently emailed me about errata, which is great.

I would prefer SI for an undergraduate text - save the "theoretician's favorite space saving" systems for the graduate level texts. I guarantee that most undergrads and all engineers will appreciate the SI units!PS: for antiquarians you can also provide tables to show how to convert between the various systems.

We can do away with SI units only after multimeters are readily available that measure in statvolts, statcoulombs per second, and seconds per centimeter (for resistance). :biggrin:

That being said, the Purcell book is excellent and this endeavor could be a great service to people learning physics.

bcrowell said:
The project I've started up is here: http://www.lightandmatter.com/purcell/
Ben, the link appears to be broken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Redbelly98 said:
Ben, the link appears to be broken.

The project is now on github: https://github.com/bcrowell/purcell . The text is all converted. I took down the web page on my web site. As explained on the github page, it turned out that the legal situation was more cloudy than I'd believed.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Which programs do I need to make the book? I have already installed Inkscape but I still get some errors when entering the make book command.

Related to Free edition of Purcell, Electricity and Magnetism

1. What is the "Free edition of Purcell, Electricity and Magnetism"?

The "Free edition of Purcell, Electricity and Magnetism" is a digital version of the classic textbook on electromagnetism written by Edward Purcell. It is available for free online and contains the same content as the original print version.

2. What topics are covered in the "Free edition of Purcell, Electricity and Magnetism"?

The "Free edition of Purcell, Electricity and Magnetism" covers a wide range of topics in electromagnetism, including electrostatics, magnetostatics, electromagnetic induction, Maxwell's equations, and electromagnetic waves. It also includes chapters on special relativity and quantum mechanics.

3. Can I use the "Free edition of Purcell, Electricity and Magnetism" for my studies?

Yes, the "Free edition of Purcell, Electricity and Magnetism" can be used for individual or classroom studies. It is a comprehensive and well-respected textbook in the field of electromagnetism and is suitable for students at both the undergraduate and graduate level.

4. Is the "Free edition of Purcell, Electricity and Magnetism" updated regularly?

The "Free edition of Purcell, Electricity and Magnetism" is not regularly updated as it is a digital version of the original print edition. However, the content is still relevant and widely used in the scientific community.

5. Can I download the "Free edition of Purcell, Electricity and Magnetism" for offline use?

Yes, the "Free edition of Purcell, Electricity and Magnetism" can be downloaded as a PDF file for offline use. This makes it easily accessible for students and researchers who may not have constant internet access.