Is average time between and after collision same for a gas?

In summary, the conversation discusses a concept in physics where the average time between collisions and the average time from last collision in an ionic gas is the same. However, the book mentions that this result is incorrect due to sampling bias. The problem is one of statistics and probability, and the correct calculation involves selecting a specific inter-collision free path rather than a random time to examine the state of the ion. A link to a paper on the topic is provided and the poster is welcomed to the forum.
Linop
I am stuck on this concept in my physics book where the author claims that in a low density ionic gas the average of the time between collision and average of the time taken from last collision in ions is same. He further states that the average time to the next collision is same as the average time from last collision. The velocity of each ion after collision is random.
Now if I apply definition of average of time intervals it follows from my calculations that average of time between collision is equal to the sum of average of time from last collision and to next collision. I am confused by this because the book specifically mentions that my result is incorrect. Please help me in this matter.
Ref: Electricity and Magnetism first edition by Edward M Purcell page# 121.
It is my first post in any physics forum so please forgive me for any mistakes.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not a question about physics. It is a question about statistics and probability. The underlying problem is one of sampling bias.

If you pick a random time at which to examine the state of an ion then you will find that the "time to the previous collision" and the "time to the next collision" are both random variables with mean equal to the mean time between collisions. You are correct that this means that the "time between collisions" for this particular sample is the sum and is, on average, equal to twice the mean time between collisions.

This seems to be a conundrum. The duration of a randomly selected inter-collision interval is, on average, equal to twice the mean time between collisions?! How can this be so?

The problem is that this sampling process is biased. If we pick a random time to sample then we will tend to select long intervals more often than short. If we had, instead, picked a particular inter-collision free path to examine (say the one million and first), we would find that its duration is, on average, equal to the mean.

The latter idealized sampling procedure is how "mean time between collisions" is defined.

A bit of Googling yields... https://arxiv.org/pdf/1308.2729.pdf

Edit: Oh, and welcome to the forums. That was a good first post.

Last edited:
Likes Linop and anorlunda
jbriggs444 said:
This is not a question about physics. It is a question about statistics and probability. The underlying problem is one of sampling bias.

If you pick a random time at which to examine the state of an ion then you will find that the "time to the previous collision" and the "time to the next collision" are both random variables with mean equal to the mean time between collisions. You are correct that this means that the "time between collisions" for this particular sample is the sum and is, on average, equal to twice the mean time between collisions.

This seems to be a conundrum. The duration of a randomly selected inter-collision interval is, on average, equal to twice the mean time between collisions?! How can this be so?

The problem is that this sampling process is biased. If we pick a random time to sample then we will tend to select long intervals more often than short. If we had, instead, picked a particular inter-collision free path to examine (say the one million and first), we would find that its duration is, on average, equal to the mean.

The latter idealized sampling procedure is how "mean time between collisions" is defined.

A bit of Googling yields... https://arxiv.org/pdf/1308.2729.pdf

Edit: Oh, and welcome to the forums. That was a good first post.
Thank you for your quick answer. I will be sure to study the pdf in the link. That problem was driving me crazy.

Related to Is average time between and after collision same for a gas?

1. Is the average time between and after collisions the same for all gases?

No, the average time between and after collisions can vary for different gases depending on factors such as molecular size, temperature, and pressure.

2. How does temperature affect the average time between and after collisions?

As temperature increases, the average time between collisions decreases. This is because higher temperatures result in a higher average velocity of gas molecules, leading to more frequent collisions.

3. Is the average time between and after collisions affected by the pressure of the gas?

Yes, the average time between and after collisions decreases as pressure increases. This is because higher pressure means there are more gas molecules in a given space, resulting in more frequent collisions.

4. Does the average time between and after collisions differ for gases with different molecular sizes?

Yes, the average time between and after collisions is shorter for gases with smaller molecular sizes. This is because smaller molecules have higher average velocities, leading to more frequent collisions.

5. How is the average time between and after collisions related to the kinetic theory of gases?

The average time between and after collisions is a key principle in the kinetic theory of gases, which states that gas molecules are in constant motion and collide with each other and the walls of their container. The average time between and after collisions is used to calculate other properties of gases, such as pressure and temperature.