Frame of reference, energy and momentum of particle

In summary, we determined the mass of the particle to be 3 MeV/c^2, the total energy in the new reference frame to be 4.24 MeV, and the relative speed between the two reference frames to be 0.894 times the speed of light.
SL_1719

Homework Statement

In a certain reference frame, a particle with momentum of 4 MeV/c and a total energy of 5 MeV
(a) Determine the mass of the particle.
(b) What is the total energy of the particle in a reference frame in which its momentum is 4 MeV/c?
(c) What is the relative speed of the two reference frames?

Homework Equations

E2=p2c2+(mc2)2
E=mc2/(1-(u2/c2))1/2
ux=(u'x+v)/(1+vu'x/c2)
u/c=pc/E
(u just another form of velocity)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I was able to find the answer to a and b, which are 5.3 MeV 6.64MeV respectively. I am just struggling finding to find an answer. Working on a practice problem I was coming nowhere close to the answer it had. I am just completely lost. I tried on the practice problem doing u/c=pc/E=> 4/5=.8 and 3/4.24=.707, but from there any combination I used got me nowhere. For the practice problem original frame momentum=4MeV/c, total energy=5MeV, mass is 3 MeV, total energy in frame 2=4.24MeV and momentum=3MeV/c. Anything helps, pointing me in the right direction or equations I am missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you!

Hi there,

First, let's define some variables for easier understanding:
m = mass of the particle
p = momentum of the particle
E = total energy of the particle
c = speed of light
u = velocity of the particle in the original reference frame
u' = velocity of the particle in the new reference frame
v = relative speed between the two reference frames

a) To determine the mass of the particle, we can use the equation E^2 = p^2c^2 + (mc^2)^2. Plugging in the given values, we get:
(5 MeV)^2 = (4 MeV/c)^2 * c^2 + m^2c^4
m = 3 MeV/c^2

b) In the new reference frame, the momentum is still 4 MeV/c, but the total energy is different. We can use the equation E = mc^2/(1-(u'^2/c^2))^(1/2). Plugging in the values, we get:
E = (3 MeV/c^2)*c^2/(1-(4 MeV/c)^2/c^2)^(1/2)
E = 4.24 MeV

c) To find the relative speed between the two reference frames, we can use the equation u/c = pc/E. Plugging in the values, we get:
(4 MeV/c)/c = (4 MeV/c)(3 MeV/c^2)/(4.24 MeV)
u = 0.894c

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Frame of reference, energy and momentum of particle

1. What is a frame of reference?

A frame of reference is a coordinate system or set of axes used to measure the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in motion. It is used to define the location and orientation of an object in space.

2. How does energy relate to particles?

Energy is a measure of the ability of a particle to do work or cause a change. Particles can have different types of energy, such as kinetic energy (related to their motion) and potential energy (related to their position or interactions with other particles).

3. What is the relationship between momentum and velocity?

Momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity. It is a measure of how much force is needed to change the object's motion. A particle's momentum and velocity are directly proportional, meaning that a change in one will result in a corresponding change in the other.

4. How does a frame of reference affect the measurement of energy and momentum?

The choice of frame of reference can affect the measured values of energy and momentum of a particle. This is because different frames of reference can have different perspectives on the particle's motion, resulting in different measurements.

5. Can energy and momentum be conserved in all frames of reference?

Yes, energy and momentum are conserved in all frames of reference. This is known as the principle of conservation of energy and momentum, which states that the total energy and momentum of a closed system remain constant, regardless of the frame of reference used to measure them.