Fourier Transform using duality property?

In summary: What do YOU think?Yes! This is what we want to use here.Ok, so in summary, you say that using the equation for the inverse Fourier transform and the equation for the transform itself, you can get the Fourier transform of a function.
Jake 7174

Homework Statement

Find the Fourier transform of

x(t) = 4 / (4 - i*t)^2

where i is imaginary

Homework Equations

Duality Property F(t) ↔ 2πf(-ω) when f(t) ↔ F(ω)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure if duality property is the way to solve this. I look at a list of properties and this seems to hold most promise. The issue is the book simply states the property and gives no example. I am not even completely sure how to interpret this property. Perhaps this is my issue. Can someone please help explain this property to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have is a Fourier transform of something, can you see what? When you figure that out you can take a look at the formula for the inverse Fourier transform, try to manipulate it so you get an expression that works in the other direction.

alivedude said:
What you have is a Fourier transform of something, can you see what? When you figure that out you can take a look at the formula for the inverse Fourier transform, try to manipulate it so you get an expression that works in the other direction.

I have this table of pairs I see a similarity with the following

e^( -a * |t| ) ; where a∈ℝ > 0 ↔ 2a / (a^2 + I * ω)

Would I be correct in saying I can rewrite my original function as f(-ω)4 / (4 - i * t)^2 = 4 / (4 + i * ω)^2 = (2 * 2) / (2^2 + i * ω)^2

Is this is correct?

Last edited:
Jake 7174 said:
I have this table of pairs I see a similarity with the following

e^( -a * |t| ) ; where a∈ℝ > 0 ↔ 2a / (a^2 + I * ω)

Would I be correct in saying I can rewrite my original function as f(-ω)4 / (4 - i * t)^2 = 4 / (4 + i * ω)^2 (2 * 2) / (2^2 + i * ω)^2

If this is correct?

No, not quite. But take a look at the transformation you found in your table, in your case ##a=2## right? Now, plug this into the inverse Fourier transform here

##
f(t) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}F(\omega)e^{i \omega t} d \omega
##

and see if you can come up with something.

Hint: The Inverse transform looks pretty similar to the transform itself, doesn't it?

alivedude said:
No, not quite. But take a look at the transformation you found in your table, in your case ##a=2## right? Now, plug this into the inverse Fourier transform here

##
f(t) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}F(\omega)e^{i \omega t} d \omega
##

and see if you can come up with something.

Hint: The Inverse transform looks pretty similar to the transform itself, doesn't it?

I am a bit confused. The transform looks very similar to the original function with the exception of the denominator being squared. But what do I plug in for F(ω) is it

∫ (2 * 2) / (2^2 + i * ω) eiωt

Jake 7174 said:
I am a bit confused. The transform looks very similar to the original function with the exception of the denominator being squared. But what do I plug in for F(ω) is it

∫ (2 * 2) / (2^2 + i * ω) eiωt

There is a pair that looks like it matches much nicerit is

t e ^(- at) u(t) ↔ ( 1 / (a + i * ω) )^2

should I be focusing on this pair?

Jake 7174 said:

What do YOU think?

Likes alivedude
Jake 7174 said:

Yes! This is what we want to use here.

What I ment was that the formula for the inverse transform looks very similar to the formula for the transform itself, I'm sorry if I confused you.

But ok, in this case what you have is this (you forgot the ##2 \pi ##)

##
f(t) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(a+i\omega)^2}e^{i \omega t}d \omega = u(t)te^{-at}
##

Now I claim that you can get your wanted Fourier transform out of this by doing only three things, one is putting your ## a = 4 ##, the next thing is multiply both sides by ##2 \pi ## and then by ##4##, the last and most important thing you will have to figure it out yourself. But do these two steps first and then compare it with the formula for the Fourier transform. I think you got this.

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
What do YOU think?

I think I am very confused and looking for help. I am not trying to get someone to give me an answer. I am looking to understand. Thanks for YOUR help.

alivedude said:
The one you got first is actually more neat in this situation, when you solve this you will understand why. But let's go back to the problemWhat I ment was that the formula for the inverse transform looks very similar to the formula for the transform itself, I'm sorry if I confused you.

But ok, in this case what you have is this (you forgot the ##2 \pi ##)

##
f(t) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{2a}{(a^2+i\omega)^2}e^{i \omega t}d \omega = e^{-a|t|}
##

Now I claim that you can get your wanted Fourier transform out of this by doing only three things, one is putting your ## a = 2 ##, the next thing is multiply both sides by ##2 \pi ## and the last and most important thing you will have to figure it out yourself. But do these two steps first and then compare it with the formula for the Fourier transform. I think you got this.

This is a nasty integral. I'm grinding it out.

Jake 7174 said:
This is a nasty integral. I'm grinding it out.

It looks like I made a mistake when I looked at your problem, you had it right when you asked me if you should focus on that second pair. I have changed my post above now and I hope I didn't screw up somewhere else.

And you don't need to compute any integrals at all, all you need to do is manipulate this expression.

Last edited:
Likes Samy_A

Related to Fourier Transform using duality property?

1. What is the duality property of Fourier Transform?

The duality property of Fourier Transform is a mathematical concept stating that the Fourier Transform of a function in the time domain is equivalent to the inverse Fourier Transform of the function in the frequency domain, and vice versa.

2. What is the significance of the duality property in Fourier Transform?

The duality property is significant because it allows us to analyze a function in both time and frequency domains, providing a better understanding of its behavior and characteristics. It also simplifies certain calculations and makes the Fourier Transform more versatile in signal processing and image analysis.

3. How is the duality property applied in practical applications of Fourier Transform?

The duality property is applied in various practical applications such as image processing, data compression, and signal filtering. For example, in image processing, the duality property allows us to transform an image into the frequency domain, manipulate it, and then transform it back to the time domain to obtain the desired result.

4. Can the duality property be extended to multidimensional signals?

Yes, the duality property can be extended to multidimensional signals. In this case, the Fourier Transform of a multidimensional signal is equivalent to the inverse Fourier Transform of the signal in the conjugate domain. This property is useful in analyzing and manipulating multidimensional signals such as images and videos.

5. Are there any limitations or constraints to using the duality property in Fourier Transform?

The duality property holds true for functions that are absolutely integrable, meaning they have a finite integral over their entire domain. Therefore, it may not be applicable to functions that are not absolutely integrable. Additionally, the duality property may not hold for functions with discontinuities or infinite discontinuities.