Fourier Transform Scaling Property help

In summary, the conversation is about the scaling property of the Fourier Transform. The discussion revolves around the substitution of u=c t and the application of the definition of the Fourier transform. The calculation is shown step by step, resulting in the second equality in the displayed equation.
Uan
Hi,

I'm following the proof of the "Scaling Property of the Fourier Transform" from here:

http://www.thefouriertransform.com/transform/properties.php

...but don't understand how they went from the integral to the right hand term here:

scalingP2.gif

The definition of the Fourier Trasform they use is this:

fourierDefinition.gif

Thanks,
Uan

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand, where there is a problem, because it's simply the definition of the Fouier transform. The full calculation goes as follows. We start with the definition of the Fourier transform:
[tex]\mathcal{F}\{g(c t)\}=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d t} g(t) \exp[-2 \pi \mathrm{i} f t].[/tex]
Now we substitute [itex]u=c t[/itex], which gives
[tex]\mathcal{F}\{g(c t)\}=\frac{1}{|c|} \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} t \exp[-2 \pi \mathrm{i} u (f/c)]=\frac{1}{|c|} G(f/c),[/tex]
where
[tex]G(f)=\mathcal{F}\{g(t)\}(f).[/tex]

vanhees71 said:
I don't understand, where there is a problem, because it's simply the definition of the Fouier transform. The full calculation goes as follows. We start with the definition of the Fourier transform:
[tex]\mathcal{F}\{g(c t)\}=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d t} g(t) \exp[-2 \pi \mathrm{i} f t].[/tex]
Now we substitute [itex]u=c t[/itex], which gives
[tex]\mathcal{F}\{g(c t)\}=\frac{1}{|c|} \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} t \ exp[-2 \pi \mathrm{i} u (f/c)]=\frac{1}{|c|} G(f/c),[/tex]
where
[tex]G(f)=\mathcal{F}\{g(t)\}(f).[/tex]

Hi vanhees71,

I get the substitution but I don't see how they went from the integral to the next bit. To me, the form of the integral doesn't quite match the definition in my first post, it has got g(u) but the exponential has exp(-i*2*pi*f*(u/c)), so this is where I get hung up...

Needs to be [STRIKE]either[/STRIKE] g(u/c) [STRIKE][or exp(-i*2*pi*f*u)^(1/c) ? ] (sorry forget this)[/STRIKE] or something to be able to apply the definition. Feels like I'm missing something simple.

One more thing, are you missing g(ct) from your first integral and g(u) on your second integral?

[tex]\mathcal{F}\{g(c t)\}=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d t} g(c t) \exp[-2 \pi \mathrm{i} f t].[/tex]

[tex]\mathcal{F}\{g(c t)\}=\frac{1}{|c|} \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} t \ g(u) exp[-2 \pi \mathrm{i} u (f/c)]=\frac{1}{|c|} G(f/c),[/tex]

Last edited:
Uan said:
Hi vanhees71,

I get the substitution but I don't see how they went from the integral to the next bit. To me, the form of the integral doesn't quite match the definition in my first post, it has got g(u) but the exponential has exp(-i*2*pi*f*(u/c)), so this is where I get hung up...
Start with the definition of the Fourier transform:
$$G(f) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g(u) \exp[-2\pi i f u] du$$
Now substitute ##f/c## in place of ##f##:
$$G(f/c) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g(u) \exp[-2\pi i (f/c) u] du$$
Multiply by ##1/c##:
$$\frac{1}{c} G(f/c) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{g(u)}{c} \exp[-2\pi i (f/c) u] du$$
which is the second equality in your displayed equation.

Likes 1 person
jbunniii said:
Start with the definition of the Fourier transform:
$$G(f) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g(u) \exp[-2\pi i f u] du$$
Now substitute ##f/c## in place of ##f##:
$$G(f/c) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g(u) \exp[-2\pi i (f/c) u] du$$
Multiply by ##1/c##:
$$\frac{1}{c} G(f/c) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{g(u)}{c} \exp[-2\pi i (f/c) u] du$$
which is the second equality in your displayed equation.

Cheers jbunniii, just what I was after! :thumbs:

Related to Fourier Transform Scaling Property help

1. What is the Fourier Transform Scaling Property?

The Fourier Transform Scaling Property is a fundamental property of the Fourier Transform, which is a mathematical tool used to decompose a signal into its frequency components. This property states that scaling a signal in the time domain by a factor of a results in a scaling of the Fourier Transform in the frequency domain by a factor of 1/a.

2. How is the Fourier Transform Scaling Property used in signal processing?

The Fourier Transform Scaling Property is used in signal processing to analyze and manipulate signals in the frequency domain. By scaling a signal in the time domain, we can effectively change the frequency range of the signal in the frequency domain, which can be useful in various signal processing applications.

3. Can you provide an example of the Fourier Transform Scaling Property in action?

Yes, for example, if we have a signal x(t) with a Fourier Transform X(f), and we scale x(t) by a factor of 2, the new signal 2x(t) will have a Fourier Transform of (1/2)X(f). This means that the frequency components of x(t) will be halved in 2x(t).

4. Are there any limitations to the Fourier Transform Scaling Property?

Yes, the Fourier Transform Scaling Property only applies to signals that are time-invariant, meaning that they do not change over time. In addition, this property is only valid for continuous signals and may not hold for discrete signals or signals with discontinuities.

5. How does the Fourier Transform Scaling Property relate to other properties of the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform Scaling Property is closely related to other properties of the Fourier Transform, such as the Time-Shifting Property and the Frequency-Shifting Property. These properties all involve scaling or shifting a signal in either the time or frequency domain, and understanding how they are related can help in understanding and applying the Fourier Transform in signal processing.