Fourier Transform Properties: Deriving TF{∫f(x)dx} = -iF(k)/k + πF(0)δ(k)

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the Fourier transform and the integral of a function. It is shown that the Fourier transform of the integral is equal to -i times F(k) divided by k, plus pi times F(0) times delta(k). The conversation also explores using convolution and the Fourier transform of the Heaviside function to achieve the same result. It is noted that F(k)*delta(k) and F(0)*delta(k) are the same distribution.
xoureo

Homework Statement

If [tex]F(k)=TF\{f(x)\},k\neq 0[/tex] where TF is the Fourier transform ,and

[tex]F(0)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(u)du\neq 0[/tex] ,

show that

[tex]TF\{\int_{-\infty}^{x}f(u)du\}=-i \frac{F(k)}{k} +\pi F(0)\delta(k)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempt the following:

[tex]TF\{\int_{-\infty}^{x}f(u)du\}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \{\int_{-\infty}^{x}f(u)du\}e^{-ikx}dx[/tex]

and , integration by parts, with

[tex]w=\int_{-\infty}^{x}f(u)du[/tex]

[tex]dw=f(x)dx[/tex]

give

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\{\int_{-\infty}^{x}f(u)du \frac{i}{k} e^{-ikx}\}|_{-\infty}^{\infty} -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \frac{i}{k}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)e^{-ikx}dx[/tex]

The last term is

[tex] -\frac{i}{k}F(k)[/tex]

What should i do with the first?. I do this, but it probably be bad:

[tex]\frac{i}{k} e^{-ikx}\}|_{-\infty}^{\infty}=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-ikx}dx = 2\pi\delta(k)[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\left[\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\int_{-\infty}^xf(z)dz-\lim_{x\rightarrow -\infty}\int_{-\infty}^xf(z)dz\right] = F(0) [/tex]

Then,

[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{dx}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^xf(z)dze^{-ikx}=-i\frac{F(k)}{k}+2\pi F(0)\delta(k)
[/tex]

where is an extra 2.

I tried to do this problem using convolution, but again i can't achieve the desired result:

[tex](f*g)(x)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(u)g(x-u)du[/tex]

If [tex]g(x-u)[/tex] is the Heaviside function, and with [tex]x-u>0[/tex] , the convolution is

[tex](f*g)(x)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(u)g(x-u)du=\int_{-\infty}^{x}f(u)du[/tex]

Then,

[tex]TF\{\int_{-\infty}^{x}f(u)du\}=TF\{(f*g)(x)\}=\sqrt{2\pi}F(k)G(k)[/tex]

But, the Fourier transform of the Heaviside function is:

[tex]TF\{g(x)\}=\frac{-i}{k\sqrt{2\pi}}+\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}\delta(k)[/tex]

Hence,

[tex]TF\{\int_{-\infty}^{x}f(u)du\}=\frac{-iF(k)}{k}+\pi F(k)\delta(k)[/tex]

But, in the last term appears [tex]F(k)[/tex] , and i want to get [tex]F(0)[/tex]. What is wrong??

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There's nothing wrong with your convolution argument. Think what happens if you integrate a test function against F(k)*delta(k). You get the same thing as if you integrate it against F(0)*delta(k) if F is continuous.F(k)*delta(k) and F(0)*delta(k) are the same distribution.

Ok,i understand it now, thanks for the help :smile:

Related to Fourier Transform Properties: Deriving TF{∫f(x)dx} = -iF(k)/k + πF(0)δ(k)

What is a property Fourier transform?

A property Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a signal or function into its constituent frequencies. It is a powerful tool in signal processing and is widely used in scientific and engineering applications.

What is the difference between a Fourier transform and a property Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a generalization of the property Fourier transform, where the signal or function is decomposed into all possible frequencies. A property Fourier transform, on the other hand, only decomposes the signal into its distinct frequencies, ignoring any redundant or overlapping information.

What are the applications of property Fourier transform?

Property Fourier transform has numerous applications in different fields. In physics, it is used to study the vibration of molecules, while in chemistry, it is used to analyze spectra of compounds. It is also used in image processing, speech recognition, audio compression, and many other areas of research and technology.

What are the limitations of property Fourier transform?

One limitation of property Fourier transform is that it assumes the signal or function is periodic, meaning it repeats itself infinitely. This may not always be the case in real-world applications. Additionally, the transform is sensitive to noise, which can affect the accuracy of the frequency analysis.

How is property Fourier transform calculated?

The property Fourier transform is calculated using a mathematical equation known as the Fourier transform formula. This formula involves complex numbers and integrals, and its implementation can vary depending on the specific software or programming language used.