Fourier Transform of sin(wt+phi)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Fourier transform of f(t) = sin(ω0t + φ). The equation F(ω) = ∫f(x)e^-iωt dt is mentioned as a method for solving this, and the attempted solution involves using this equation and evaluating it between - and + infinity. The conversation also mentions the use of Dirac delta functions in the answer.
zanderace

Homework Statement

I've been stuck on this for a while:

Find the Fourier transform of f(t)=sin([itex]\omega0[/itex]t+[itex]\phi[/itex])

Homework Equations

I know that I have to use F(ω)=[itex]\int[/itex]f(x)e^-iωt dt (between - and + infinity) to solve this

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have: F(ω)=[itex]\int[/itex]Sin(ω0t+[itex]\phi[/itex])e^-i[itex]\omega[/itex]tdt
=[itex]\int[/itex](e^i[itex]\omega[/itex]0t+[itex]\phi[/itex] - e^-it[itex]\omega[/itex]0+[itex]\phi[/itex])/2i * e^-i[itex]\omega[/itex]t dt

(Both evaluated between - and +infinity, and ω0 means ω subscript 0)

But I'm really not sure where to go with this next. Any help or pointers would be really appreciated! Also sorry for my equation writing but I'm completely new to LATEX. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is going to involve a sum of Dirac delta functions. You might want to look up how the integral of a complex exponential is related to the Dirac delta.

Related to Fourier Transform of sin(wt+phi)

What is the Fourier Transform of sin(wt+phi)?

The Fourier Transform of sin(wt+phi) is a mathematical tool used to decompose a signal into its constituent frequencies. It represents the signal in the frequency domain, showing the amplitude and phase of each frequency component.

How is the Fourier Transform of sin(wt+phi) calculated?

The Fourier Transform of sin(wt+phi) is calculated by taking the integral of the signal multiplied by a complex exponential function with a frequency variable. This integral is evaluated over all time or space, depending on the type of signal being analyzed.

What is the significance of the phase term in the Fourier Transform of sin(wt+phi)?

The phase term, phi, in the Fourier Transform of sin(wt+phi) represents the phase shift of the signal. It indicates how much the signal is shifted in time compared to a reference signal with the same frequency. A positive phase shift means the signal is shifted to the right, while a negative phase shift means it is shifted to the left.

What are the applications of the Fourier Transform of sin(wt+phi)?

The Fourier Transform of sin(wt+phi) has various applications in science and engineering. It is used in signal processing, image processing, communications, and many other fields for analyzing and filtering signals, as well as for solving differential equations.

How does the Fourier Transform of sin(wt+phi) relate to the Fourier Series?

The Fourier Transform of sin(wt+phi) is closely related to the Fourier Series, which represents a periodic signal as a sum of sinusoidal functions. The Fourier Transform can be seen as an extension of the Fourier Series for non-periodic signals, as it allows for the analysis of signals with a continuous spectrum of frequencies.