Fourier transform, complex exponential and infinity

In summary, the conversation discussed using the Fourier transform on a signal with bounds from -∞ to ∞, but since the signal is 0 for negative t, the bounds become 0 to ∞. The resulting antiderivative is et*(-3-jω+2j) and to evaluate it at t=infinity, the complex number (-3-jω+2j) is used. Assistance was requested in understanding the result, which was determined to be zero at the upper limit and one at the lower limit due to the real part of e^{-3t}.
fishingspree2
I'm taking the Fourier transform of a signal. This integral has bounds from -∞ to ∞, but since the signal is 0 for negative t, the bounds become 0 to ∞

doing the integration, the antiderivative I get is et*(-3-jω+2j) where j is sqrt(-1)

Now I have to evaluate this at t=infinity (since it is a proper integral)...I don't really know how to do this since (-3-jω+2j) is a complex number.

infinity times a negative number is negative infinity
infinity times a positive number is positive infinity
infinity times a complex number?

any help will be appreciated,

thank you very much

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you have:

[tex]e^{-3t+it(2-w)}\biggr|_0^{\infty}[/tex]

where I'm using i cus' I'm not an engineer but same dif. Now assume w is a real number, then we could write:

[tex]e^{-3t}e^{it(2-w)}=e^{-3t}\left(\cos(t(2-w))+i\sin(t(2-w)\right)\biggr|_0^{\infty}[/tex]

so that because of the [itex]e^{-3t}[/itex] real part, at the upper limit, that is zero and at the lower limit it's one.

thank you! got it!

Related to Fourier transform, complex exponential and infinity

1. What is a Fourier transform and how is it used in science?

Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a signal from its original domain (usually time or space) to a representation in the frequency domain. It is widely used in science for signal processing, image processing, and data compression.

2. How does a complex exponential relate to Fourier transform?

A complex exponential is the basis of the Fourier transform. It is a mathematical function that represents a continuous sinusoidal wave. Fourier transform uses complex exponentials to decompose a signal into its frequency components.

3. Can Fourier transform be applied to infinite signals?

Yes, Fourier transform can be applied to infinite signals. In fact, it is often used for signals that have infinite duration, such as continuous-time signals. However, practical applications usually involve using a truncated version of the signal for computational purposes.

4. What is the relationship between Fourier transform and infinity?

Fourier transform deals with the concept of infinity in terms of the frequency spectrum. It represents a signal as an infinite sum of complex exponential functions with varying frequencies. This allows for a more accurate representation of a signal, even if it extends to infinity.

5. How is Fourier transform used to analyze signals with infinite energy?

Fourier transform can be used to analyze signals with infinite energy by using a modified version called the Fourier transform pair. This allows for the analysis of signals that do not have a finite energy, such as ideal square waves or impulses.