Fourier transform and singularities

In summary: This is a consequence of the fact that an analytic function on the real line with a finite integral over the whole line must have a finite value at infinity.2) The width of f(t) and F(\omega) in real t and \omega domain respectively satisfy the uncertainty relation. When calculating f(t)=\int_{-\infty}^\infty F(\omega)e^{-i\omega t}, if the answer to the first question is "yes," then for different sign of t, the contour can be closed by half circles on the complex plane for \omega. To evaluate f(t), we only need to know the information about the singularity points of F(\omega) on complex plane. So, the question is: is
diraq
Consider the Fourier transform of a complex function f(t):
[tex]f(t)=\int_{-\infty}^\infty F(\omega)e^{-i\omega t}[/tex]
Here t and [itex]\omega[/itex] are on real axis. Let's suppose f(t) is square integrable. Here are my questions:

1) Since f(t) is square integrable, so we have [itex]\text{limit}_{|\omega|\rightarrow\infty}F(\omega)=0[/itex]. Now, if [itex]F(\omega)[/itex] is analytically extended onto the complex plane, i.e., now [itex]\omega\in\mathbb C[/itex], then does the property [itex]\text{limit}_{|\omega|\rightarrow\infty}F(\omega)=0[/itex] still hold at infinity on the complex plane?

2) The width of f(t) and [itex]F(\omega)[/itex] in real t and [itex]\omega[/itex] domain respectively satisfy the uncertainty relation. When calculating [itex]f(t)=\int_{-\infty}^\infty F(\omega)e^{-i\omega t}[/itex], if the answer to the first question is "yes," then for different sign of t, the contour can be closed by half circles on the complex plane for [itex]\omega[/itex]. To evaluate f(t), we only need to know the information about the singularity points of [itex]F(\omega)[/itex] on complex plane. So, the question is: is there any simple rule of thumb relation between the width of f(t) and the position of the singularity of [itex]F(\omega)[/itex] and the corresponding residues?

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
diraq said:
Consider the Fourier transform of a complex function f(t):
[tex]f(t)=\int_{-\infty}^\infty F(\omega)e^{-i\omega t}[/tex]
Here t and [itex]\omega[/itex] are on real axis. Let's suppose f(t) is square integrable. Here are my questions:

1) Since f(t) is square integrable, so we have [itex]\text{limit}_{|\omega|\rightarrow\infty}F(\omega)=0[/itex]. Now, if [itex]F(\omega)[/itex] is analytically extended onto the complex plane, i.e., now [itex]\omega\in\mathbb C[/itex], then does the property [itex]\text{limit}_{|\omega|\rightarrow\infty}F(\omega)=0[/itex] still hold at infinity on the complex plane?
No. The counterexample is the function ##f(t)=e^{-t^2/2}##. It has the Fourier transform ##F(\omega)=\sqrt{2\pi}e^{-\omega^2/2}##, which blows up as ##\omega \rightarrow \pm i \infty##.

Related to Fourier transform and singularities

1. What is the Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a signal into its constituent frequencies. It is used to analyze the frequency content of a signal and is widely used in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and physics.

2. What is the relationship between the Fourier transform and singularities?

The Fourier transform is closely related to singularities, as it can reveal the presence of singularities in a signal or function. Singularities are points where a function is not defined or is not differentiable, and the Fourier transform can detect these points by showing high frequency components in the transformed signal.

3. How is the Fourier transform used in image processing?

In image processing, the Fourier transform is used for tasks such as filtering, compression, and edge detection. It allows for the separation of signals of different frequencies, making it useful for removing noise and enhancing certain features in an image.

4. Can the Fourier transform be applied to non-periodic signals?

Yes, the Fourier transform can be applied to both periodic and non-periodic signals. However, for non-periodic signals, the Fourier transform is often referred to as the Fourier integral or the continuous Fourier transform.

5. What are some common applications of the Fourier transform in science and engineering?

The Fourier transform has a wide range of applications in science and engineering, including signal processing, image processing, quantum mechanics, acoustics, and electromagnetic theory. It is also used in fields such as medicine, finance, and geology for tasks such as data analysis and pattern recognition.