Fourier transform and convolution, dirac function

In summary, the conversation is about a solution for Fourier transform where the problem requires convolution. However, the result obtained by the speaker is different from the given result. They are confused about the process and mention that there might be a typo in the solution sheet. The speaker also explains their steps for computing the convolution, but is unsure about where the 1/4 comes from in the given result.
nightworrier
Hi everyone,
I uploaded a solution about Fourier transform. At the solution of this problem, it states that make convolution. But i tried to do convolution but my result is not same with this result. When you do the convolution with 2.10 and 2.11, is the result 2.13 correct ? How is it done ? :S I am so confused.

Attachments

• fourier.jpg
    fourier.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org
i really don't understand the basis of this problem

but from what you have posted if E2.9 to E2.12 is the way it is then E2.13 should be right

did you do the convolution of 2.10 with 2.11?

I try to do the convolution. But i think at E2.13 there shouldn't be 1/4. Maybe i do something wrong.
I said E2.10 x(f)
Then E2.11 y(f)

x(f)*y(f)=int(x(z).y(f-z)dz) right ? this is the convolution
so i put E2.11 into the integral. And i subsitute f to f-z the formula becomes
[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]int([tex]\frac{1}{\frac{1}{2}+j2.pi.f}[/tex].[dirac(f-50-z)+dirac(f+50-z)]dz

then f-50-z=0 df=dz
z=f-50
i computed the integral than put z into these formula. But 1/4 not coming from there. Maybe i did something wrong

oops i don't get that 1/4 either, may be it is some typo in that sheet

Related to Fourier transform and convolution, dirac function

1. What is the Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that allows us to decompose a signal or function into its constituent frequencies. It transforms the signal from the time or spatial domain to the frequency domain, where it can be analyzed in terms of its frequency components.

2. How is the Fourier transform related to convolution?

The Fourier transform and convolution are closely related concepts. Convolution is a mathematical operation that combines two functions to produce a third function, while the Fourier transform is used to analyze and manipulate signals or functions. The convolution theorem states that convolution in the time or spatial domain is equivalent to multiplication in the frequency domain. This allows us to use the Fourier transform to simplify complex convolution operations.

3. What is the Dirac function?

The Dirac function, also known as the Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that is defined as zero everywhere except at the origin, where it has an infinite value. It is often used in mathematical models to represent a point-like source or impulse, and it plays an important role in the theory of distributions and the study of signals and systems.

4. How is the Dirac function related to the Fourier transform?

The Dirac function plays a crucial role in the Fourier transform. Its Fourier transform is equal to 1, which means that it has a constant value in the frequency domain. This property makes it a useful tool for analyzing signals and systems using the Fourier transform, as it allows us to simplify and solve complex problems.

5. What are some practical applications of Fourier transform and convolution?

The Fourier transform and convolution have a wide range of practical applications in various fields, including signal processing, image and audio compression, data analysis, and physics. They are used in the design and analysis of filters, in the study of differential equations and partial differential equations, and in various imaging techniques, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computed tomography (CT).