Fourier Series, Sin(t), but skips every other period Hard

In summary, the conversation discusses a function f(t)=sin(t) and its period of 4pi. The speaker attempts to use Exponential Fourier Series and Trigonometric Fourier Series to find coefficients, but runs into errors due to discontinuities at n=2. The conversation ends with a suggestion to take the period into account for the function.
zenjirou

Homework Statement

f(t)= sin(t), so as expected the period goes from 0 to 2pi. But 2pi to 4 pi is function is ZERO, and then starts up again from 4pi to 6pi, then zero from 6pi to 8pi,etc

So basically sin(t) that skips every other period.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In my attempt, I did Exponential Fourier series, and got coefficients but it included dividing by 1-(n^2)/4. Thus there is a discontinuity? which mess up everything... since the summation should go from 1 to inf.

I also tried trigonometric Fourier series and got an, bn, that included dividing by 1-n/2, which has the same problem of discontinuity

Question is how to deal with these discontinuities, I'm using MATLAB on this and I get errors becaues its not defined at n=2. But the summation should go from 1 to inf.

any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
So basically for my exponential Fourier coefficient ,
I got Dn= ((-1)*(-1)^k)/{ (8pi*(1-(n^2)/4)}

Becasue of the 1- (n^2)/4) term, n cannot =2. So when this coefficient is placed in the Summation, It doesn't work. How does one deal with a case like this. Perhaps we change the summation from 3 to inf...

Take the integral you have for dn. Before you integrate it, set n=2 and simplify the integrand.

Thanks,

So Using Exponential Fourier Series, my |Dn| = (-1)^n / 2-(n^2)/2
Is it normal for the complex component, i, to disappear.
I can see how for n=2, we will have to do a separate integral, but for the main summation, it no longer has a complex component which is strange..

Your function does NOT have period [itex]2\pi[/itex], it has period [itex]4\pi[/itex]. Take that into account.

Related to Fourier Series, Sin(t), but skips every other period Hard

What is a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is commonly used in signal processing and other areas of science and engineering.

How is a Fourier Series calculated?

A Fourier Series is calculated by finding the coefficients of the sine and cosine functions that, when added together, approximate the original periodic function. This is typically done using integration or other mathematical techniques.

What is the significance of Sin(t) in a Fourier Series?

Sin(t) is one of the fundamental components in a Fourier Series. It is a sine function with a period of 2π and an amplitude of 1. It is used to represent the oscillatory behavior of a periodic function.

What does it mean to skip every other period in a Fourier Series?

Skipping every other period in a Fourier Series means that only every other term in the series is used in the calculation. This can be used to simplify the representation of a function or to highlight certain features of the function.

How is a Fourier Series with skipped periods different from a regular Fourier Series?

A Fourier Series with skipped periods will have a different set of coefficients and will therefore give a different approximation of the original function. It can also have a different frequency spectrum and may be easier to work with in certain situations.