Fourier Series: Rewriting with k_n and θ

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the Fourier series can be written in a different form using trigonometric identities. It suggests using the angle addition identity to expand the given expression and find the values of kn and θ.
twotaileddemon

Homework Statement

Show that the Fourier series f(x) = [tex]\sum[/tex]ansin(nx) + bncos(nx) can be written as [tex]\sum[/tex]kn(cos(nx+[tex]\vartheta[/tex])) and define kn and [tex]\vartheta[/tex]

where the summation is from 0 to [tex]\infty[/tex]

Homework Equations

sin [tex]\vartheta[/tex] = cos (90 - [tex]\vartheta[/tex]) ??

The Attempt at a Solution

Well what I originally did was replace the sin term by cos (90 - nx), put cosine in terms of complex exponentials, and then try to solve the equation, but I only got what I was given in the first place and not the solution (i.e. I went in a circle).

Is there some kind of property of sin or cos I could use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about something like this:

[tex] a \cos x + b \sin x = \sqrt{a^2+b^2}\ \left(\frac a {\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}\cos x +\frac b {\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}\sin x\right )[/tex]

and then think about what the expansion of

[tex]\cos{(x -\phi)}[/tex]

looks like.

Try expanding [itex]k_n\cos(nx+\theta_n)[/itex] using the angle addition trig identity.

Thank you for the responses - I was able to derive the proof exactly.

Related to Fourier Series: Rewriting with k_n and θ

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of simple sine and cosine functions. It is used to analyze and approximate complex functions in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. How is a Fourier series rewritten with k_n and θ?

A Fourier series can be rewritten using the terms k_n and θ, where k_n represents the frequency of the sine and cosine terms and θ represents the phase shift. This allows for a more concise and general representation of the series.

3. What is the purpose of using k_n and θ in a Fourier series?

Using k_n and θ in a Fourier series allows for easier manipulation and analysis of the series. It also allows for a more compact representation of the series, making it easier to understand and work with.

4. Can a Fourier series be used to approximate any function?

No, a Fourier series can only approximate periodic functions. If a function is not periodic, it cannot be accurately represented by a Fourier series.

5. How is a Fourier series used in real-world applications?

A Fourier series is used in various real-world applications such as signal processing, image and sound compression, and solving differential equations. It is also used in fields such as finance and economics for data analysis and forecasting.