Fourier Series and Energy Density

In summary, the energy density of a periodic function is given by the Fourier series of its complex conjugate.
chief10
dealing with absolute functions that are limited always throws me off so let's consider this

f(x)=|x| for -∏ ≤ x < ∏
f(t)= f(t+2∏)

it's not too bad however finding the energy density is throwing me off a little..
the questions tend to be generally phrased as below:

Find the energy density of f(t).

-thanks guys and girls

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi chief10! :smile:

(try using the Quick Symbols box next to the Reply box :wink:)

(i'm not sure what you're asking :confused:, but …)

f(t) = f(t + 2π) means that the function has period 2π,

so it will have a Fourier series, of coss and sins :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi chief10! :smile:

(try using the Quick Symbols box next to the Reply box :wink:)

(i'm not sure what you're asking :confused:, but …)

f(t) = f(t + 2π) means that the function has period 2π,

so it will have a Fourier series, of coss and sins :smile:

hey there thanks for the hello :)

i'll make the question more clear

Please do! For one thing, "energy" is a physics concept, not mathematics so you will have to say what you mean by the "energy density".

HallsofIvy said:
Please do! For one thing, "energy" is a physics concept, not mathematics so you will have to say what you mean by the "energy density".
what I'm talking about is energy density of a periodic function ~ f(t)

you know, Parseval and all that - it corresponds to Fourier in mathematics.

Last edited:
Hi chief10,

You seem to be looking for the "power spectrum of a signal" that is used often by electrical engineers. It's called other names such as spectral density, power spectral density and energy spectral density. The idea is that the power varies according to what frequency components exist in the signal in addition to their amplitude. The power for each frequency component varies according to the square of the frequency.

[tex]power \quad = \quad \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} \! |f(t) |^2 \, \mathrm{d} t[/tex]

Taking the Fourier transform (the conjugate of F{f(t)} is needed because the wave equation is complex)

[tex]power \quad = \quad \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} \! |F(\omega) |^2 \, \mathrm{d} \omega \quad = \quad F(\omega)F^*(\omega)[/tex]

The meaning of F() on the left is specific to the frequency under the integral whereas on the right it means the summation of every frequency that exists in the signal. Though this is an over-simplified explanation. See a derivation of Parseval's theorem for the details (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parseval's_theorem for example)

Last edited:
PhilDSP said:
Hi chief10,

You seem to be looking for the "power spectrum of a signal" that is used often by electrical engineers. It's called other names such as spectral density, power spectral density and energy spectral density. The idea is that the power varies according to what frequency components exist in the signal in addition to their amplitude. The power for each frequency component varies according to the square of the frequency.

[tex]power \quad = \quad \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} \! |f(t) |^2 \, \mathrm{d} t[/tex]

Taking the Fourier transform (the conjugate of F{x(t)} is needed because the wave equation is complex)

[tex]power \quad = \quad \int_{- \infty}^{\infty} \! |F(\omega) |^2 \, \mathrm{d} \omega \quad = \quad F(\omega)F^*(\omega)[/tex]

Though this is an over-simplified explanation. See a derivation of Parseval's theorem for the details (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parseval's_theorem for example)

so probably a good idea to find the Fourier Series for f(t) first?

Yes, the result of doing the Fourier transform gives you the Fourier series.

hmm I'm having trouble computing this series

the absolute is making it difficult, any ideas?

I solved the series. I'm hoping I did it correctly.
This is what I got.

(∏/2) - 2*Σ [((-1)n/n)*sin(nx)]I'll see what I can do with the above to find Energy Density of f(t)

Related to Fourier Series and Energy Density

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical tool used to represent a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions with different amplitudes and frequencies. It is named after French mathematician Joseph Fourier and is commonly used in fields such as signal processing and physics.

2. How is a Fourier series related to energy density?

In physics, energy density refers to the amount of energy per unit volume in a system. A Fourier series can be used to determine the energy density of a periodic system by decomposing its energy into different frequency components. This is useful in understanding the behavior and properties of physical systems.

3. Can a Fourier series be used for non-periodic functions?

No, a Fourier series is only applicable to periodic functions. For non-periodic functions, a similar concept called the Fourier transform is used.

4. What is the relationship between Fourier series and harmonics?

A harmonic refers to a sinusoidal function with a frequency that is a multiple of the fundamental frequency. In a Fourier series, the different terms represent different harmonics of the original periodic function.

5. Are there any practical applications of Fourier series and energy density?

Yes, there are many practical applications of Fourier series and energy density. Some examples include analyzing and interpreting signals in electrical engineering, studying heat transfer and vibrations in physics, and even in fields such as music and image processing.