Fourier Mistake: Help Jenny Out

In summary, the conversation discusses a mistake made in a function and the use of the Fourier transform to solve the problem. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using a theorem to establish the result for the Fourier transform at discontinuities. The theorem is known as the Fourier inversion theorem and is discussed in the book "Fourier Analysis and its Applications" by Folland, G. B.
jennyjones
can someone spot my mistake, I'm stuck

thanks,

jenny

Attachments

• fourier.jpg
    fourier.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 373
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think step 3 is correct. the original function is not zero for |x| > a. But it looks like you assume that so that you can make the integral over this range, instead of from minus infinity to infinity. At least, that looks like what you had in mind...

Likes 1 person
Also, what definition are you using for the Fourier transform? Because I get the feeling they have used a different convention.

Likes 1 person
When ##\lvert\omega\rvert < a##, you have
$$\int_0^\infty \frac{\sin ax\cos \omega x}{x}\,dx = \frac{\pi}{2}.$$ When ##\lvert\omega\rvert > a##, you have
$$\int_0^\infty \frac{\sin ax\cos \omega x}{x}\,dx = 0.$$ Somehow, you have to figure out what happens when ##\lvert\omega\rvert = a##.

Likes 1 person
bruce W I'm using the cosine transform, i made a picture of this formula for my textbook.

Vela, do you know if i can than say |ω|= (∏/2+0)/2=∏/4 ?

the average?

Attachments

• Snapshot_20131020.JPG
    Snapshot_20131020.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 370
Seems like it might, like the Fourier series does at discontinuities. Do you know of a theorem that establishes the same result for the Fourier transform?

Likes 1 person
BruceW said:
I don't think step 3 is correct. the original function is not zero for |x| > a. But it looks like you assume that so that you can make the integral over this range, instead of from minus infinity to infinity. At least, that looks like what you had in mind...
Ah whoops, ignore this. I thought you wrote an ##a## for the upper limit, but it is an ##\infty##, as it should be.

jennyjones said:
bruce W I'm using the cosine transform, i made a picture of this formula for my textbook.
right. yes, you are using the same definition of the Fourier transform as they are. Which is good :)

jennyjones said:
Vela, do you know if i can than say |ω|= (∏/2+0)/2=∏/4 ?

the average?
I think you meant to say the average of the values of the Fourier transform on either side of the point ##\omega=a##. If this is what you meant, then yes that's right. Was it a guess? You have good intuition if it was. Yeah, there is a specific theorem (which is pretty hard to find on the internet), as vela is hinting at. This theorem works for certain kinds of function, like the rectangular function.

Yey! thank you, than i solve the problem now!

Do you maybe know the name of this theorem?

jenny

No worries :) I think wikipedia said it is a form of the Fourier inversion theorem. They didn't give a direct link for it though. It's on the wikipedia page "fourier inversion theorem", about halfway down under the subtitle "piecewise smooth; one dimension", if you are interested. It looks like the book "Fourier Analysis and its Applications" by Folland, G. B. might have some more information.

Related to Fourier Mistake: Help Jenny Out

1. What is "Fourier Mistake: Help Jenny Out"?

"Fourier Mistake: Help Jenny Out" is a computer game that simulates scientific research and problem-solving, specifically focusing on the concept of Fourier transformations.

2. Who created "Fourier Mistake: Help Jenny Out"?

The game was created by a team of scientists and game developers at the University of California, Berkeley.

3. How does "Fourier Mistake: Help Jenny Out" help improve scientific understanding?

The game allows players to experience the process of scientific research and problem-solving in a realistic and engaging way. It also teaches players about the concept of Fourier transformations, a fundamental tool in many scientific fields.

4. Is "Fourier Mistake: Help Jenny Out" suitable for all ages?

The game is designed for players ages 13 and up. However, younger players may also enjoy the game with adult supervision.

5. Can "Fourier Mistake: Help Jenny Out" be used for educational purposes?

Yes, the game is designed to be educational and can be used as a teaching tool in classrooms or for individual learning.