Fourier expansion (i cant understand a thing darn)

In summary: I really appreciate it!In summary, the Fourier expansion of a periodic function is a sum of sin(nx) and cos(nx) for all positive integers n. For n=0, sin(nx)= sin(0)=0 for all x so you can ignore B0. Although it is difficult to understand, understanding the concept behind the Fourier expansion would be very helpful for the quiz tomorrow.
kring_c14

Homework Statement

what is the Fourier expansion of the periodic function whose definition in one period is

f(t)= {[tex]^{0}_{1} ^{-\pi \leq t < 0}_{sint 0\leq t \leq \pi}[/tex]

uh sorry about the small font
i don't know how to make it bigger

about the question,

as much as i would like to even attempt a solution but the fact is, i can't understand the concept behind the Fourier expansion!

i really need some help.. its our quiz tomorrow.. and

the only thing i figured out is what equation to use if a function is odd or even

beyond that, nada! zip!...

i would really appreciate your help
a gazillion thanks everybody..

just a little bit of enlightenment about this expansion would really help...its not really about the question...

a gazillion thanks again

Physics news on Phys.org
uhmmm pls help me!

It's not at all clear what you are asking!

A Fourier expansion is a sum of sin(nx) and cos(nx) for all positive integer n:
[tex]f(x)= \sum_{n=0}^\infty A_n cos(nx)+ B_n sin(nx)[/tex]
(Of course, for n=0, sin(nx)= sin(0)= 0 for all x so you can ignore B0.)

Here your interval, from [itex]-\pi[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex] has length [itex]2\pi[/itex] which is the standard example. I could look up the formulas for the An and Bn but they should be in your textbook.

"The concept behind Fourier expansion"... Hmm, that's a tough one. The abstractions could just go on and on... One way I used to visualise them was as an alternative way to approximate things, apart from a Taylor expansion. So a Taylor expansion about a point gives successively better approximations of a function near a particular point, by using terms such as [tex](x-x_0)^n[/tex], and you work out the coefficients by doing differentiation. A Fourier series is another way to approximate a function, but more globally -- so each term reduces the error, not only near some expansion point, but all over the entire function; the terms are cos and sin, and the coefficients are calculated using integration.

As far as even/odd goes, you know that sin is odd and cos is even? Therefore, a sum of sin's is still odd, and sum of cos's is even. So even functions would only have cos terms, and odd functions sin's.

i just want to know, is finding the Fourier expansion just the same as Fourier transformation?

A Fourier transformation is what you get when you relax the condition that the function is periodic. Alternatively, you take the limit where the period goes to infinity. There are also other ways to characterise it, but this is probably the most relevant for you.

yes it is...thank you..

Related to Fourier expansion (i cant understand a thing darn)

1. What is a Fourier expansion?

A Fourier expansion is a mathematical technique used to represent a function as a sum of trigonometric functions. It allows us to break down a complex function into simpler components, making it easier to understand and manipulate.

2. How does a Fourier expansion work?

A Fourier expansion works by decomposing a function into a series of sine and cosine waves with different frequencies and amplitudes. These waves are then combined to create a representation of the original function.

3. What is the purpose of using a Fourier expansion?

The purpose of using a Fourier expansion is to simplify the analysis of complex functions. By breaking down a function into simpler components, we can better understand its behavior and make predictions about its future values.

4. Can Fourier expansions be used in real-world applications?

Yes, Fourier expansions have many practical applications in fields such as signal processing, image and sound compression, and data analysis. They are also used in physics and engineering to describe physical phenomena.

5. Is understanding Fourier expansion necessary for all scientists?

While Fourier expansion may not be directly relevant to all scientific fields, having a basic understanding of it can be beneficial. It is a widely used mathematical tool and can provide insights into the behavior of various systems and functions.