Fourier coefficient calculations

In summary, the conversation is about calculating Fourier coefficients for a given function using the definition found in a book on PDE's. The limits of the integral are determined to be 0 and L, and the calculation for the modulus squared of the denominator is unknown. However, after further clarification and research, the result is found and the problem is solved.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I've been following closely a book on PDE's working through lots of steps but here I'm stuck.
Basically I have the relation [itex]f(x)= \sum _{n=1}^\infty F_n \sin \left ( \frac{n\pi x }{L} \right )[/itex]. I want to calculate the Fourier coefficients [itex]F_n[/itex].
I look at the definition in the same book and I see that if [itex]f(x)= \sum _{n=1}^\infty c_n g_n(x)[/itex] then [itex]c_n=\frac{1}{||g_n||^2} \int _a ^b f(x)g_n (x)dx[/itex].
Since I'm solving the 1 dimensional wave equation between [itex]x=0[/itex] and [itex]x=L[/itex], the limits of the integral are in my case [itex]0[/itex] and [itex]L[/itex].
I get that [itex]F_n =\frac{1}{|| \sin \left ( \frac{n\pi x }{L} \right )||^2} \int _0^L f(x) \sin \left ( \frac{n\pi x }{L} \right ) dx[/itex]. I don't really know how to calculate the modulus squared of the denominator. When I look in the book it says that [itex]F_n=\frac{2}{L} \int _0^L f(x) \sin \left ( \frac{n\pi x }{L} \right ) dx[/itex]. I've absolutely no idea how he did this calculation.

Homework Equations

I don't know if there are any other than the one I posted.

The Attempt at a Solution

Only thoughts so far...
Any clarification is welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of the modulus squared of a function?

jbunniii said:
What is the definition of the modulus squared of a function?

Ok thank you, I just found out the result... I didn't know to tell the truth, now I know. Problem solved.

Related to Fourier coefficient calculations

1. What is a Fourier coefficient calculation?

A Fourier coefficient calculation is a mathematical process used to decompose a periodic signal into a series of sinusoidal functions, known as Fourier series. It involves finding the amplitudes and phases of these sinusoidal functions, which can then be used to reconstruct the original signal.

2. What is the purpose of performing Fourier coefficient calculations?

The main purpose of Fourier coefficient calculations is to analyze and understand the frequency components of a periodic signal. This is useful in a variety of fields, including signal processing, communication systems, and image analysis.

3. How are Fourier coefficient calculations performed?

Fourier coefficient calculations involve using the Fourier transform, which converts a signal from the time or spatial domain to the frequency domain. The amplitudes and phases of the sinusoidal functions are then determined by integrating the signal over a specific time interval or spatial domain.

4. What is the significance of the Fourier coefficients?

The Fourier coefficients represent the contribution of each sinusoidal function to the original signal. The magnitude of the coefficient represents the amplitude of the sinusoid, while the phase determines its position in the signal. Together, these coefficients provide a complete description of the frequency components of the signal.

5. Can Fourier coefficient calculations be used for non-periodic signals?

No, Fourier coefficient calculations are only applicable to periodic signals. For non-periodic signals, a similar process called the Fourier transform can be used to analyze the frequency components. However, the coefficients in this case are known as Fourier transforms instead of Fourier coefficients.