Four Color Map Theorem: Proving the Impossibility?

• Thread starter phlegmy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Color Map
In summary, The four color map theorem states that any map can be colored with only four colors in such a way that no two adjacent regions have the same color. An attempt to prove this by trying as many cases as possible was made, but it was later proven by Appel and Haken in 1976. However, some people do not consider this attempt a proof because there are infinite cases to try. It was also discovered that there are maps that cannot be colored with four colors, even if they do not contain four mutually adjoining regions.
phlegmy
[SOLVED] The four color map??

so i guess most of you know about the four color map theorm.

i read about it in a book a couple of days ago and had some idle brain time today while driving a tractor.
i scribbled out some maps on the dirt on the windows and always seems to enclose one region of the map in my attempt to find a five color map.

i then reasoned that if a five color map existed then there must be a section of it containing 5 mutually adjoining regions. and that if i could stand in anyone of the regions i should be able to walk to any of the other four without crossing another. and so i thought.. i'll draw dots to represent regions and lines to represent the path i'd take from one to another. so in joining the dots i again come to a stop, it is impossible for me to join all dots to all dots without crossing lines, i.e. distroying boarders between regions. so i thought, i'll draw another five dots and this time be carefull not to cross lines, but i end up in a situation where in order to connect two dots i must enclose a "deficient" dot.

so i figure there can never exist 5 mutally adjoining regions unless i can connect all the dots without crossing lines. if there and only 4 mutally adjoining regions [which can be easily done with dots and lines] i only need 4 colours.

i then wonder, does the orientations of the dots matter?, and i think, no, because i can alter my path,
i then wonder does it matter what order i connect the dots in, and i think, perhaps, but if the orientation of the dots isn't important then they may as well be points on a circle and so be very symetrical, so the order won't be too important

then i feel very happy that i will no longer waste my time trying to draw a five color map on the side of a trailer or the inside of a tractor cab. I've satisfied myself it cannot be done. then i wonder,.. does that consititute a proof.

so i do some googleing and find that some equally clever people have already done pretty much the same thing. but they don't call it proof??

so I'm figureing, I'm satisfied i cannot connect all the 5 dots, but i havnt "prooved" it. it's pretty obvious to someone who tries they cannot do it. [much more obvious than trying to draw funny maps!) so why is it not accepted as a proof?? or has anyone any thougths on this

apologies as always for my spelling

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't know why it wouldn't be called a proof. Appel and Haken proved that in 1976.

Trying as many cases as you can think of isn't a proof - if there is an infinite number of cases to try.
What I remember being proved is that all maps can be split it one of a large (but finite) number of examples and then they 'proved' on a computer that all of these maps were 4 colour.

phlegmy said:
i then reasoned that if a five color map existed then there must be a section of it containing 5 mutually adjoining regions.

This is not enough for a proof. There are maps that you can't colour with 4 colours, that do not contain 4 mutually adjoining regions.

kamerling said:
This is not enough for a proof. There are maps that you can't colour with 4 colours, that do not contain 4 mutually adjoining regions.

thanks guys i suppose that would explain why its not a solution!
i'd be interested to see the map you refer to!

phlegmy said:
thanks guys i suppose that would explain why its not a solution!
i'd be interested to see the map you refer to!

I'm sure you must have seen a map like that many times. Any map with an area that is surrounded by a ring of an odd number of areas needs four colours. For example Nevada and the five states surrounding it.

i see.. I've just done it!
interesting how adding, or removing one region will reduce it to a 3 color map!
[never seen a map of nevada!]

kamerling said:

I think you mean "There are maps that you can colour with 4 colours".

HallsofIvy said:
kamerling said:
I think you mean "There are maps that you can colour with 4 colours".

I thought kamerling meant, "There are maps you can't color with 3 colors.".

1. What is the Four Color Map Theorem?

The Four Color Map Theorem is a mathematical concept that states that any map can be colored with only four colors in such a way that no adjacent regions share the same color.

2. Who discovered the Four Color Map Theorem?

The Four Color Map Theorem was first stated by Francis Guthrie in 1852. However, it was not until 1976 that mathematicians Kenneth Appel and Wolfgang Haken provided the first computer-assisted proof of the theorem.

3. Why is it difficult to prove the Four Color Map Theorem?

The Four Color Map Theorem is difficult to prove because it involves a large number of possible color combinations for any given map. Additionally, it requires a combination of mathematical reasoning and computer-assisted methods to reach a proof.

4. Is the Four Color Map Theorem universally accepted?

Yes, the Four Color Map Theorem is universally accepted as a mathematical truth. However, there have been some challenges and critiques of the original proof by Appel and Haken, leading to the development of alternative proofs by other mathematicians.

5. How does the Four Color Map Theorem relate to real-world applications?

The Four Color Map Theorem has practical applications in areas such as cartography, computer graphics, and scheduling problems. It also has implications in other mathematical fields, such as graph theory and topology.