Found a bottle of uranium nitrate, safe to be around?

• Thread starter jack476
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uranium
In summary, the glass stoppered and sealed glass vials with a yellow powder in them, the labels were very faded and the bottles looked extremely old, concern led me to ask the professor who I am working for about the contents. The professor insisted that it is "probably safe", but still left me extremely worried. There is someone whose responsibility this is, but it's possible that they didn't know the powder was in there. I'm beginning to wonder if I should contact some kind of authorities about this.
arivero said:
Ah yes, a professional, regulated testing surely does not come cheap. Which on the other hand can be the main reason for this kind of potential dangers still existing. At the end of the day, surely admins puts faith on the safety of ancient users and in half-life decay cycles, before paying for a false alarm.

I don't think that's it. I have no reason to think that my professors were being intentionally deceptive, from what I have seen they are honest people who would not put themselves or their students at that kind of risk. I really think that this was an honest mistake, a pair of bottles were thoughtlessly tossed in a drawer in an unused laboratory a long time ago and forgotten. I would definitely call the surrounding circumstances very careless, but not malicious.

Likes arivero
Physics news on Phys.org
jack476 said:
I don't think that's it. I have no reason to think that my professors were being intentionally deceptive, from what I have seen they are honest people who would not put themselves or their students at that kind of risk. I really think that this was an honest mistake, a pair of bottles were thoughtlessly tossed in a drawer in an unused laboratory a long time ago and forgotten. I would definitely call the surrounding circumstances very careless, but not malicious.

Got your point. I was not thinking deception, but in generic case I think that there are some external factor weighting in; the perception, driven for custom, that a false alarm is the most usual result. And of course the point of being unjustly blamed for mistakes of another administration from long time ago. In the example I have narrated before, the labs currently in the campus have the experience that each time the event is remembered in the press, they get some criticism, even though the mistake was a pre-democratic government decades ago with a different management of the state labs and their research goals.