Forum on movies,tv series,muzik etc

• Thread starter default_
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of adding a forum for movies and TV series on a website. Some argue that it may not generate enough traffic, while others suggest adding it to existing forums like General Discussion or Fun and Games. There is also a suggestion to change the Philosophy forum to include TV, movies, and music. The conversation ends with the moderator stating that all entertainment threads are welcome in the General Discussion forum for now.
default_
Hi,i last visited this site last year and I've noted the addition of a "relationships" forum.Is it possible to add a forum on movies and tv series so that we can be discussing top movies,movie industry and the like?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there enough traffic to justify the existence of such a forum?? As of now, there are not much threads discussing what you propose, so a new forum might not be the best idea. A new forum does not generate new traffic.

As of now, you can always post such things in the General Discussion forum.

The Fun and games forum could also work for such threads.

I still recommend a forum for movies.Some things happen randomly,not necessarily influenced by any factors like demand as you might think.Anyway,it will also increase visitors to your site;people who specifically want matters dealing with movies and arts.

default_ said:
Anyway,it will also increase visitors to your site;people who specifically want matters dealing with movies and arts.

I don't think that Physics Forums should add such-and-such forum just because it will attract people interested in such-and-such. Depending on what such-and-such is, I think this is an argument for not adding such-and-such a forum. After all, these are physics-related forums.

George Jones said:
I don't think that Physics Forums should add such-and-such forum just because it will attract people interested in such-and-such. Depending on what such-and-such is, I think this is an argument for not adding such-and-such a forum. After all, these are physics-related forums.
If this is an argument against a "TV & movies" forum, then isn't it also an argument for removing some of the forums we have now, in particular politics, relationships, and skepticism and debunking?

I would probably be interested in discussions about TV shows and (to a much lesser extent) movies. I'm already cheating on PF with two other forums just to discuss TV shows. :smile:

micromass said:
A new forum does not generate new traffic.

As of now, you can always post such things in the General Discussion forum.
I don't think I agree with these statements. I mean, you can of course start a thread about the new season of True Blood in GD, but wouldn't it be weird when there aren't any similar threads there? Wouldn't you stop and think "Will anyone who's interested in TV shows even find this thread if I post it here?". I think this discourages people from posting.

I would totally agree with your statements if this had been the thread where someone requested a forum dedicated to questions by science fiction writers. Those writers are going to post anyway, because they are looking for people who know physics, not other writers.

So I agree with default_. A TV, movies and music forum would be a nice addition. I wouldn't say that PF needs it (it's not exactly physics), or that I need it (there are lots of other forums), but it would be a small improvement.

We could change Philosophy to TV, Movies and Music.

Perhaps we could add these to the Fun, Photos & Games subforum. We have long standing threads there such as the kitten lovers thread. In GD, we have single threads for Food, Gardening, Best Songs.

Evo said:
We could change Philosophy to TV, Movies and Music.

That's the best idea I've heard in a long time! :-p

I wouldn't miss the philosophy forum, but maybe others will. I'm not convinced that the philosophy forum can help people understand science or mathematics. There are some philosophical questions that are important to math/physics students, e.g. "What exactly is a theory?" or "Do complex numbers exist?". But it seems to me that those questions can be asked in the other forums.

Fredrik said:
If this is an argument against a "TV & movies" forum, then isn't it also an argument for removing some of the forums we have now, in particular politics, relationships, and skepticism and debunking?
No. Those fora were created because there was already so much discussion cluttering up the other fora. They warranted their own.

Removing them won't make interest in those topics go away; they'll just be discussed in GD.

Thanks for the suggestion! For the meantime all entertainment threads are welcome in the GD forum!

Due to the Op's sockpuppet also posting, thread closed.

Related to Forum on movies,tv series,muzik etc

1. What is the purpose of the forum?

The purpose of the forum is to provide a platform for discussion and sharing of opinions and information about movies, TV series, music, and other related topics. It allows people with similar interests to connect and engage in meaningful conversations.

2. How can I join the forum?

To join the forum, you will need to create an account by providing a valid email address and choosing a username and password. Some forums may also require you to verify your account through a confirmation email.

3. Can I post spoilers on the forum?

It is generally considered impolite to post spoilers on the forum without giving a warning first. However, some forums may have specific rules about spoilers, so it is best to check the forum guidelines before posting.

4. How do I report inappropriate content on the forum?

If you come across any content on the forum that is inappropriate or violates the forum's rules, you can report it to the forum moderators. Most forums have a "report" button or a designated email address for reporting such content.

5. Are there any rules I need to follow on the forum?

Every forum has its own set of rules and guidelines that must be followed by all members. These rules are typically in place to maintain a respectful and friendly environment for all users. It is important to read and adhere to the forum's rules to avoid any issues or conflicts.