Thoughts on Chernobyl 2019 TV HBO Series

In summary: I don't know. It's just odd that there haven't been more accidents. It's like they're trying to keep something from happening.In summary, there are some deviations from historical accuracy in the TV series Chernobyl, but it is still an interesting watch.
cube137
Does anyone watch the Chernobyl tv series? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7366338/

It has such realism you would think it's right in the scene.

Imdb rated it 9.6 out 10.

Did all those details in the series actualy happened? Which part is dramatization?

It made me think deep into the night.

Do you know any sci-fi movies or tv series like it that deals with nuclear weapon accidents?

Our Earth now has enough nuclear weapons to destroy the world 10 times over.

It's odd there was not a single nuclear weapon accident. Statistically, at least one should happen by now.

So something is not right. Unless someone watching over Earth to make sure this doesn't happen?

We have savages on a planet with itchy fingers on the nuclear button. It's ok if all are savages and Earth is expendable, but out of the population are number of souls with genuinely good heart. So perhaps Earth is worth saving at all in the eyes of the galactic society?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure whether you can say nothing happened with all those sunken nuclear plants on subs! And I wouldn't bet that nothing had happened only because we do not know. The galactic society, so there is something like that, and not merely alien microbes, is far away anyway and likely not interested.

fresh_42 said:
I'm not sure whether you can say nothing happened with all those sunken nuclear plants on subs! And I wouldn't bet that nothing had happened only because we do not know. The galactic society, so there is something like that, and not merely alien microbes, is far away anyway and likely not interested.

Maybe those concerned are regenerates living with us? Does anyone know of any movies where former androids or slaves of aliens who came here centuries ago were on their own and meddling with human affairs for their own sakes. I am so bored with Thanos now as the story is already predictable..so need other kinds of sci for entertainment To get in the mood read this book too..treat it as sci fi https://www.amazon.com/dp/1544822197/?tag=pfamazon01-20

cube137 said:
Does anyone watch the Chernobyl tv series? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7366338/

I have been watching the show. I have enjoyed it but more as a disaster film rather than a documentary.
It is interesting, but like a lot of TV I would not take it as history. Here is a NY Times review of it which points out where it deviates from history. At least one character was created (for dramatic effect), the actions of various people were altered (for dramatic effect), the smoke was more and dark rather than light) also for dramatic reasons.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970
cube137 said:
It's odd there was not a single nuclear weapon accident. Statistically, at least one should happen by now.
Odd how? What does "statistically" even mean in this context?

cube137 said:
It's odd there was not a single nuclear weapon accident.

That depends on your definition of a "nuclear weapon accident". There were a lot of accidents with release of radiactive materials and in the 1961 Goldsboro nuclear accident a multi-megaton bomb was very close to an accidentally detonation.

Likes russ_watters
I've seen the previews and it looks really well done. This is one of those stories you kind of hate to watch because you know how it turns out. I had a professor in college who lost a daughter from it and it was very heart wrenching listening to her speak about it on the anniversary.

DrStupid said:
That depends on your definition of a "nuclear weapon accident". There were a lot of accidents with release of radiactive materials and in the 1961 Goldsboro nuclear accident a multi-megaton bomb was very close to an accidentally detonation.
And it isn't an actual "wonder". Nuclear weapons are static configurations, whereas nuclear power plants are highly dynamic. This is a bit as if someone wonders that he had never had an accident with his car in the garage.

cube137 said:

Imdb rated it 9.6 out 10.

Did all those details in the series actualy happened? Which part is dramatization?

It made me think deep into the night.

Do you know any sci-fi movies or tv series like it that deals with nuclear weapon accidents?

Our Earth now has enough nuclear weapons to destroy the world 10 times over.

So something is not right. Unless someone watching over Earth to make sure this doesn't happen?

We have savages on a planet with itchy fingers on the nuclear button. It's ok if all are savages and Earth is expendable, but out of the population are number of souls with genuinely good heart. So perhaps Earth is worth saving at all in the eyes of the galactic society?
No but I will.
The whole thing was terrifying at the time.
I saw an excellent docudrama of the incident staring Ade Admondson a few years back.
I was too young to understand the 3 mile island incident.

pinball1970 said:
I was too young to understand the 3 mile island incident.
I remember a graffiti in a subway station after Chernobyl which read: "Harrisburg : Chernobyl 1:1"

Likes DennisN and pinball1970
fresh_42 said:
I remember a graffiti in a subway station after Chernobyl which read: "Harrisburg : Chernobyl 1:1"
Yes there is humour in everything if you look hard enough, at the time though it was horrible.
Restrictions on grazing animals in parts of the UK due to fallout were only lifted in 2012 and we did not get the worst of it.

The employees and firemen at Chernobyl who stayed to try and fix it, knowing they were receiving potentially lethal doses of radiation, were unbelievably brave.

Likes fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
I should expect a mathematician to remember a ratio in just about anything however

Likes berkeman
I am super eager to get into this series. It's really getting some amazing reviews and critical acclaim. Some referencing the quality similar to The Wire which is awesome. I notice at PF we're getting some activity with Chernobyl threads.

1. What is the Chernobyl 2019 TV HBO Series about?

The Chernobyl 2019 TV HBO Series is a historical drama that depicts the events surrounding the catastrophic nuclear accident that occurred at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine in 1986.

2. Is the Chernobyl 2019 TV HBO Series historically accurate?

While some events and characters have been condensed or altered for dramatic purposes, the overall depiction of the events and the scientific and technical details in the series are considered to be highly accurate and well-researched.

3. How does the Chernobyl 2019 TV HBO Series portray the role of science in the disaster?

The series accurately portrays the crucial role that science played in understanding the causes and consequences of the Chernobyl disaster, as well as in the cleanup and mitigation efforts that followed. It also highlights the challenges and limitations of scientific knowledge and decision-making in the face of a complex and unprecedented disaster.

4. Is the Chernobyl 2019 TV HBO Series appropriate for all ages?

The series contains mature themes and graphic depictions of the aftermath of the nuclear disaster, including scenes of radiation sickness and death. It is not recommended for younger audiences.

5. Has the Chernobyl 2019 TV HBO Series had any impact on the public's perception of nuclear power?

The series has sparked discussions and debates about the safety and regulation of nuclear power, and has raised awareness about the potential consequences of a nuclear disaster. However, it is ultimately up to individual viewers to form their own opinions and beliefs about nuclear power based on the information presented in the series.