Formulas for Sequences: Finding Limits and Sums for an, Sn, and Rn

In summary, the task is to find formulas for the sequences an, Sn, and Rn for a given series and to find the limits of these sequences as n approaches infinity. The formula for an is easy, but the limit does not exist. The formula for Sn can be written as a geometric series, given by S_n = \sum_{k = 1}^n \left( - \frac{1}{2} \right)^k, and the limit can be found using the hint provided. The meaning of Rn is unclear, but it could refer to a recursive formula or a rest term defined by \sum_{k = 0}^\infty a_k = S_n + R_n.
soothsayer

Homework Statement

For the following series, write formulas for the sequences an,
Sn and Rn, and find the limits of the sequences as n-->infinity
latex2png.2.php?z=100&eq=1-\frac{1}{2}%2B\frac{1}{4}-\frac{1}{8}%2B\frac{1}{16}-....jpg

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

an is easy, =
latex2png.2.php?z=100&eq=\frac{%28-1%29^n%20}{2^n%20}.jpg

the limit of which does not exist.

This is where I get stuck, I know Sn=
latex2png.2.php?z=100&eq=\sum_{k%3D1}^{n}\frac{%28-1%29^k}{2^k}.jpg

But I don't know how to come up with an actual formula for the sum. Furthermore, I'm not sure I even know what Rn is, a Reimann sum? How do I go about doing that? I can't find anything in my notes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe it helps if you write it like
[tex]S_n = \sum_{k = 1}^n \left( - \frac{1}{2} \right)^k[/tex]
(hint: |1/-2| < 1, geometric series).

We cannot smell what Rn is supposed to mean either. Perhaps a recursive formula? Or a Riemann sum? Or a rest term (i.e. defined by [itex]\sum_{k = 0}^\infty a_k = S_n + R_n[/itex]) ?

Last edited:
Ooh, thanks for the tip! That does make things a little clearer, I'll try that out. As for what Rn stands for, the problem in the book didn't elaborate, and I don't have the book with me to reference.

If you really want to do this assignment now, I suggest trying the first and last option that I gave.
The recursive formula is quite trivial and will probably take you about 5 second to write down.
The formula for the rest is another nice exercise manipulating geometric series and fractions :-)

Related to Formulas for Sequences: Finding Limits and Sums for an, Sn, and Rn

1. What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers or objects that follow a specific pattern or rule. Each number or object in the sequence is called a term.

2. What are the different types of sequences?

There are three main types of sequences: arithmetic, geometric, and recursive. Arithmetic sequences have a constant difference between each term, geometric sequences have a constant ratio between each term, and recursive sequences have a rule that uses previous terms to generate the next term.

3. How do you find the next term in a sequence?

In an arithmetic sequence, you can find the next term by adding the common difference to the previous term. In a geometric sequence, you can find the next term by multiplying the previous term by the common ratio. In a recursive sequence, you can find the next term by using the rule to generate the next term.

4. What is the formula for an arithmetic sequence?

The formula for an arithmetic sequence is an = a1 + (n-1)d, where an represents the nth term, a1 represents the first term, and d represents the common difference.

5. How do you find the sum of a finite arithmetic sequence?

The formula for finding the sum of a finite arithmetic sequence is Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where Sn represents the sum of the first n terms, a1 represents the first term, and an represents the nth term.