Formulas for flow rate through orifice

In summary, the conversation is about finding a formula to calculate the mass flow rate of liquids through a known orifice size and known pressure/secondary pressure. The use of Bernoulli's equation is mentioned, but the person is looking for a better approximation using the minor loss coefficient for the orifice plate. The conversation also discusses the different coefficient values for various orifice shapes and sizes. The highest level of math mentioned is trigonometry and the need to determine the units when using the formula.
jakeh_16
I am in need of a formula to calculate mass flow rate of liquids through a known orifice size and known pressure/secondary pressure.

I need to do this for multiple liquids and I know the specific gravity for each liquid.
can anyone help with this formula.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bernoulli's equation will give an upper limit. A better approximation can be had by finding the minor loss coefficient for your orifice plate from the manufacturer.

i had a quick look at Bernoulli's equation and it appears the first variable needed is the flow rate. which is what I am trying to find.
is there a way to calculate flow rate from orifice size and pressure.

basically I have a 2mm orifice at 50 psi and want to know the flowrate.

jakeh_16 said:
i had a quick look at Bernoulli's equation and it appears the first variable needed is the flow rate. which is what I am trying to find.
Can't you re-arrange it so that the input variable is pressure and the output variable is flow rate?

not with my mathematical skills. damn

from cameron hyrdraulic data:

Q=19.636*C*d1^2*h^(1/2)*(1/(1-(d1/d2)^4))^(1/2) where d1/d2 >0.3
Q=19.636*C*d1^2*h^(1/2) where d1/d2<0.3

reentrant tube length = 1/2 to 1*dia C=0.52
sharp edged C=0.61
square edged C=0.61
reentrant tube length = 1 1/2*dia C=0.73
square edged tube flows full C=0.82
well rounded C=0.98

from there use bernoulli's equation to determine pressure drop across orifice.

jakeh_16 said:
not with my mathematical skills. damn
What is the highest level of math that you have completed?

done trig, work, mechanical advantages etc in fitting and machining apprenticeship that's it. so not much

Do you need the mass flow rate (i.e. the amount of fluid mass transferred per second) or the volumetric flow rate (the amount of volume transferred per second)?

The two are related via the following relation:

## Q_m = \rho Q_v##

You can find the flow rate via the following equation provided you can either approximate the discharge coefficient or determine it otherwise. Sources I can reference suggest that a well-drilled, clean and smooth orifice can be approximated with a discharge coefficient of 0.5 to 0.7, for example.

You can find the mass flow rate (## Q_m ##) via a restatement of the discharge coefficient equation:

## Q_m = C_d A \sqrt{2 \rho \Delta P} ##

...where:
  • ##C_d## is the aforementioned discharge coefficient
  • ##A## is the area of the orifice
  • ##\rho## is the density of the fluid
  • and ##\Delta P## is the pressure differential (drop) across the orifice.

Likes billy_joule
Algebra is all you need.
Here's a link with a section on orifices with a little more help on discharge coefficients.
http://web.mst.edu/~cottrell/ME240/Resources/Fluid_Flow/Fluid_flow.pdf section 2.2what nobody ever tells you about is the units...

I'm so old i grew up with pressure in poundals/square foot, mass in poundsmass. area in square feet and density in poundsmass /cubic foot .

you'll probably use more modern units .

Related to Formulas for flow rate through orifice

1. What is the formula for calculating flow rate through an orifice?

The formula for flow rate through an orifice is: Q = Cd * A * sqrt(2 * g * (P1 - P2) / ρ), where Q is the flow rate in cubic meters per second, Cd is the coefficient of discharge, A is the area of the orifice in square meters, g is the acceleration due to gravity, P1 is the upstream pressure in pascals, P2 is the downstream pressure in pascals, and ρ is the density of the fluid in kilograms per cubic meter.

2. What is the coefficient of discharge?

The coefficient of discharge is a dimensionless constant that takes into account the shape and size of the orifice, as well as the properties of the fluid. It is typically determined experimentally and can range from 0.6 to 0.8 for a sharp-edged orifice.

3. How does the flow rate change with different orifice sizes?

The flow rate through an orifice is directly proportional to the area of the orifice. This means that as the orifice size increases, the flow rate also increases, assuming all other variables (such as pressure and coefficient of discharge) remain constant.

4. What is the effect of pressure on the flow rate through an orifice?

The flow rate through an orifice is inversely proportional to the pressure difference between the upstream and downstream sides. This means that as the pressure difference increases, the flow rate decreases, and vice versa.

5. How does the density of the fluid affect the flow rate through an orifice?

The density of the fluid has a direct effect on the flow rate through an orifice. As the density increases, the flow rate decreases, assuming all other variables (such as pressure and coefficient of discharge) remain constant. This is because a denser fluid requires more force to flow through the same area, resulting in a lower flow rate.