Formula for capacitance is C=Q/V

In summary: F = 1 FIn summary, the problem involves two conductors with opposite net charges and a potential difference of 14.0 V. The formula for capacitance is C=Q/V and the answer should be in farads. The total charge on the system is 14 µC and the total stored potential is 14 V. After converting units and following the correct calculations, the total capacitance is found to be 1 µF. However, there was a mistake in the original calculation as the charge should have been 14 µC instead of 140 µC, resulting in a total capacitance of 1 F.
Squ33
The problem entails the following:

Two conductors having net charges of +14.0 µC and -14.0 µC have a potential difference of 14.0 V.

(a) Determine the capacitance of the system

I know that the formula for capacitance is C=Q/V, but do I need to convert units, or add the two conductors together, or what?

So far the answers I have come up with are 1E-5 F and 2E-6 F, and they are both wrong...:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
C= Q/V

Q's units will be coulombs
V's units will be volts
C's answer will be farads

1 coulomb/ 1 volt = 1 farad so basically how you have explained the problem it would seem that you just need to plug and chug the answer into the equation.

it seems that how your numbers are though that it would come out
to just + and - 1 farad wouldn't it? since 14/14 and -14/14. I hope this helps.. I am looking out of my book to try and help you. speaking of which.. what is the answer supposed to be since you apparently know that yours is wrong and know the correct answer?

Thx for the help, I found out that it was to the wrong power of 10 (shoulda been 1E-6 instead of 1E-5)

when a capacitor is charged the values for charge upon each plate (surface) are equal in magnitude but opposite in sign. The total charge on the system is 14 uC. The total potential stored is 14V.

thus total capacitance = Q/Vab= 14uC/14V= (14*10^-6)C/(14*10^0)V=1uF.

I think that you lost a decimal place somewhere. The proposal was 14uC not 140*10^-5 C.

micro is an abbreviation for 10^-6, all exponents in engineering notation are multiples of 3. All the results of exponential calculation in engineering notation should result in numbers which are a multiple of three.

14uC= 14 *10^6 C

Related to Formula for capacitance is C=Q/V

What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in farads (F).

What is the formula for capacitance?

The formula for capacitance is C=Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is the charge stored, and V is the potential difference.

How do you calculate capacitance?

To calculate capacitance, you need to know the charge stored and the potential difference. Then, use the formula C=Q/V to find the capacitance in farads (F).

What is the unit of capacitance?

The unit of capacitance is the farad (F), named after the English physicist Michael Faraday.

What is the relationship between charge, voltage, and capacitance?

The relationship between charge, voltage, and capacitance is represented by the formula C=Q/V. This means that the higher the charge or the lower the voltage, the higher the capacitance will be.