Former therapist going into engineering; seeking advice

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Amy G.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the main question is whether it would be wiser to get an Associate's degree or a Bachelor's degree in Electro-Mechanical Engineering Technology. The person asking the question has a background in Psychology and Counseling, but is currently working as a project assistant and enrolled in a community college program for EMET. They are debating between the two options and are seeking opinions from electrical or mechanical engineers. The pros of stopping at an Associate's degree include spending less money, potentially being promoted within their current company, and the preference for supportive roles. However, the cons include limited job opportunities and a lower salary. The pros of getting a Bachelor's degree include a higher salary and more job opportunities, but it would be more expensive and take more
Amy G.
In a nutshell, my question is, would it be wiser for me to get an Associate's degree in Electro-Mechanical Engineering Technology, or a Bachelor's degree?To tell you about my background: I have a BA from Purdue University in Psychology, and a MS from Indiana University in Counseling. I turned 28 years old in June and became a Licensed Mental Health Counselor (in the state of Indiana) in March. As much as I have tried to make it work, that field is just not for me.

I currently work full time as a project assistant at a small industrial automation company. I am also enrolled in two community college classes (I don't have much money) and am part of the Electro-Mechanical Engineering Technology (EMET) program. At this rate, I should graduate with an Associate's degree in EMET by Summer 2018.

I am debating between these two options and want everyone's opinions of which would be more beneficial/ make more sense (preferably of people who are electrical or mechanical engineers). I am asking because I feel you all would have more knowledge regarding the pros and cons that I anticipate.

1.) Stop at an Associate's degree.

Pros:
- I'll spend less money on college
- I can be done by the time I am 31 years old, which will give me more time to excel in the field. Doing well is important to me.
- I might still be able to become an engineer, because the company I work for hopes to promote me to that level when I get my degree
- I am unclear about how different the responsibilities of a technician and engineer are, but I generally prefer supportive roles. I don't usually like to be solely responsible for something; I'd rather work with a team or help someone else.
- It's a bit lower-level of a career than being an engineer, which may help if I decide I want to have a baby (unlikely)

Cons:
- If I can't become an engineer where I currently work, I will probably have to be a technician, because most companies won't hire you as an engineer without a BS
- The salary as a technician will probably be significantly less. And I really need decent income (ideally $60,000+), because although I have no debt currently, I don't have much in assets either. No house, no retirement savings, and my car is dying. I live very simply and rarely spend money, but therapists actually don't make much money, so I never got to save much
- Due to the lower salary, I'd have to rely on my fiancé more for retirement savings. But I like to make enough money to take care of myself. It makes me feel more confident and secure.
- I heard it might be hard to find jobs as an EMET?

2.) Go on to get a Bachelor's degree

Pros:
- Salary will be much more; I can probably build up a decent savings account and maybe even retire someday
- I won't have to rely on my fiancé to build our retirement savings. That gives me a sense of empowerment. And, if he decides to leave me someday, I won't be completely screwed.
- More job opportunities?

Cons:
- Will be more expensive because I'll need to take more college classes
- I might be solely responsible for some projects, and that could stress me out a lot. Not having too much stress is important to me, because high levels of stress make me depressed.
- Will take more time- I won't finish until I am 35 or 36 years old. That is getting up there!

Physics news on Phys.org
A few comments:
  1. An Associates is nothing in the world of engineering. It makes you "someone who is not an engineer, but maybe understands a little of what they do."
  2. If you are factoring in "maybe my fiancé will leave me" into your planning, you might want to reconsider the whole fiancé thing. Just sayin'.
  3. You will someday be 35 no matter which path you take. Would you rather be 35 with or without engineering credentials?
  4. You can always say "I won't do this" to a job that you feel is too stressful. Yes, it might limit your prospects for advancement, but doesn't it make more sense to do this when the problem arises rather than to accept the limitation at the beginning on the chance that maybe this will happen?
  5. I've worked places where the engineers could use a therapist. Good luck!

Likes Amrator, Dishsoap and CalcNerd
Vanadium 50 said:
A few comments:
  1. An Associates is nothing in the world of engineering. It makes you "someone who is not an engineer, but maybe understands a little of what they do."
  2. If you are factoring in "maybe my fiancé will leave me" into your planning, you might want to reconsider the whole fiancé thing. Just sayin'.
  3. You will someday be 35 no matter which path you take. Would you rather be 35 with or without engineering credentials?
  4. You can always say "I won't do this" to a job that you feel is too stressful. Yes, it might limit your prospects for advancement, but doesn't it make more sense to do this when the problem arises rather than to accept the limitation at the beginning on the chance that maybe this will happen?
  5. I've worked places where the engineers could use a therapist. Good luck!

I appreciate your response! That's what I thought, regarding the value of an Associate's degree; I thought getting one would likely only lead me to be a technician. So I guess this thread isn't just about degrees, but also about whether being a technician or engineer would be better for me.

I see your point about the fiancé. I am just being realistic- about 50% of marriages end in divorce. Of course, I don't think my relationship will turn out that way. Otherwise, why would I be in it? Very few people get married, thinking it won't work it. I simply like to plan for the worst-case scenario, while hoping it never happens.

I like your point about ages. Time will pass anyway. Mid-30's doesn't seem too old to enter a new profession.

Regarding the stress, that's a good point. I should take things as they come. I guess I just wish I knew more about the stress level in my therapist career prior to entering it; then I might have made a different decision. For example, I knew that I would have suicidal patients... but I didn't think my own patients would threaten to hurt me or actually try... and I didn't think I would have to explain to parents why the treatment team recommended they not get their children back... etc. There are so many examples of stress that I didn't foresee; those are just two of them.

Related to Former therapist going into engineering; seeking advice

What motivated you to switch from therapy to engineering?

After working as a therapist for several years, I realized that I was more interested in the technical and problem-solving aspects of the job rather than the emotional and psychological aspects. I have always been curious about how things work and I wanted to pursue a career that would allow me to use my analytical skills.

What skills from your previous career do you think will be beneficial in engineering?

As a therapist, I developed strong communication and listening skills, as well as the ability to empathize and understand different perspectives. These skills are crucial in engineering as they allow me to effectively communicate with team members and clients, and to consider the needs and limitations of others when designing solutions.

What challenges do you anticipate facing as a former therapist in the engineering field?

I believe that one of the biggest challenges I will face is adjusting to a different work environment and culture. In therapy, the focus is on the individual and their emotional well-being, whereas in engineering, the focus is on problem-solving and technical skills. I may also have to learn new technical skills and terminology, but I am confident that my previous experience in learning and adapting to new concepts will help me overcome this challenge.

Do you have any advice for other therapists who are considering a career change to engineering?

My advice would be to carefully consider your motivations and strengths before making the switch. It’s important to have a genuine interest and passion for engineering to be successful in the field. Also, don’t be afraid to reach out to other engineers or attend networking events to gain a better understanding of the industry and potential career paths.

How do you think your background in therapy will contribute to your work as an engineer?

I believe that my background in therapy will bring a unique perspective to my work as an engineer. I have experience in understanding and addressing the needs and concerns of individuals, which can be valuable when designing solutions for real-world problems. Additionally, my previous experience in working with diverse populations has taught me how to be adaptable and considerate of different perspectives, which can be beneficial in team settings and client interactions.