Formal power series and non/homogeneous recurrence relations

In summary, the mark allocation is 2, 3, 3 and 2. The Attempt at a Solution is in terms of z, right? I get: F(z) = z / (1 - z - z2) but I'm unsure if I have to go into partial fractions for this in my answer.
Ian_Brooks

Homework Statement

20104302321196340826647900012504568.jpg

Homework Equations

We're using generating functions, and recurrence relations of homogeneous and non-homogeneous types

The mark allocation is 2, 3, 3 and 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I've done the first part correctly. The closed form is in terms of z, right? I get:

F(z) = z / (1 - z - z2)

but I'm unsure if I have to go into partial fractions for this in my answer. For part b, I get:

A(z)(1 - 2z + z2) = a0 + z(a1 - 2a0) ...
= F(z)
so I take my closed formula from part a and substitute F(z) for it so I get

A(z) = z / [ (1 - z - z2) (1-z)2) ]

I'm still unsure if this is right, since looking at previous examples, they express A(z) in terms of itself, that is: group together coefficients of an etc. and get a more complex remainder; They suggest to do this:

A(z)(1 - 2z + z2) = a0 + z (a1 - 2a0) + z2 (a2 -2a1 + a0) ...

and group together the coefficients of a1 or a2 etc. so there is a generating function within the brackets. I used F(z) in this case, but is that really in terms of itself?

For part (c), I want to use the bn and pn way for non homogeneous recurrence relations, but I got lost; we've only gone over the pn being a power of n (n2, n or even just integers) but the function here, even in the explicit form, is an integer to the power of n (I solved the Fibonacci sequence via the polynomial method). I used the partial fraction method, but it ended up very ugly, substituting alpha for (1 - root5 / 2) and beta for (1 - alpha), their product as negative 1, and their sum as positive 1. This is only a three mark question, and my working is over 3 pages, incomplete. Even if I finish it, I don't remember how to get from the closed form to explicit (that's in terms of n, right?). I can use a/(1-bz) = a times bn , but what about with multiple powers of (1-z) at the denominator? I only recall the generating function version of that ([tex]\sum[/tex] (n+k)Ck z2 ) (bounds from n=0 to infinity), but not in it's explicit form.

Then for part (d), I'm unsure how to use part (c) to calculate the sum as I am completely lost for it. Any pointers?

Physics news on Phys.org
i'd agree with a) & b) and think you're essentially doing the same thing as the solution

for d) try writing out an in terms of the Fj's and see if you can spot a pattern

Last edited:
for c) you want to try and probably get rid of the F term so how about looking at
[tex] a_{n+1}-a_n{n} [/tex]

after manipulation, this should leave you with an equation with a negative F term. Then adding that to the original, with correct choice of index, should leave you with a pure recurrence relation of aj that may be easier to solve...

Related to Formal power series and non/homogeneous recurrence relations

1. What is a formal power series?

A formal power series is an infinite series of the form $\Sigma_{n=0}^{\infty}a_nX^n$, where $a_n$ are coefficients and $X$ is a variable. These series are manipulated algebraically rather than being evaluated at specific values.

2. What is the role of formal power series in mathematics?

Formal power series are used in various areas of mathematics, such as algebra, analysis, and combinatorics. They are particularly useful in solving problems involving recurrence relations and generating functions.

3. How do you find the coefficients of a formal power series?

The coefficients of a formal power series can be found through various methods, such as using the Cauchy product or differentiating and setting the variable to 0. The specific method used depends on the problem at hand.

4. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is an equation that defines a sequence by expressing each term in the sequence as a function of previous terms. For example, the Fibonacci sequence can be defined by the recurrence relation $F_n = F_{n-1} + F_{n-2}$.

5. How are formal power series used to solve non/homogeneous recurrence relations?

Formal power series can be used to find closed-form solutions for non/homogeneous recurrence relations. By representing the terms of the recurrence relation as coefficients in a formal power series, the problem can be reduced to finding the coefficients of the series and using algebraic manipulations to find the solution.