Formal name for molecular aggregations?

• Thread starter icakeov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecular
In summary: At this point, the summary is starting to get into technical details - so I'll stop here and thank you for your help.In summary, substances can be pure (without any other substances), mixtures of same or different atoms or molecules, or mixtures of different atoms or molecules. There is no one term that covers all of these situations.
icakeov
Is there a word that describes physical bodies of molecules?
By this, I mean any "body" that is composed of similar or different molecules, whether it is an ocean, a drop of water, a mountain, a glass cup, or a cloud, or even living bodies and their parts for that matter.

This is in lines of: atoms build molecules, molecules build _____?

The closest I can think of is "material" but I imagine there is got to be a more formal term? I heard a term "condensed body" but I am not sure if that''s correct.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Thanks for the response Bystander!
Is the correct term then a "state"? or "state of matter"? Sounds like "aggregation of matter" is got to be it.
I'm hoping to find a common term for all the different states (i.e. solids, liquid,s gases, plasmas, etc)

The difference between "molecule" and "bulk matter" is a function of your "field of interest." Surface chemistry and adsorption, nephelometry/turbidimetry and colloids/suspensions, nano-scale you-name-it in materials science, the sky's the limit.

Likes icakeov
Hi again, I've been looking up the term "substance" or "chemical substance" and I was wondering whether substance by definition includes "bulk matter"?
I am a bit confused about the exact defintion of "substance". Are "elements", "molecules", "compounds" and "mixtures" and "bulk matters" all chemical substances? Or is substance defined in some other more restrictive way?

Sorry, I might not have been clear with my question.
I trying to understand up until which "stage" the word substance applies. I gather it applies to elements, molecules and compounds, what what about mixtures and bulk matter? Are those substances too?
If yes, what would be the distinction between substance and bulk matter?
Hope that clarifies it further.

icakeov said:
what about mixtures and bulk matter? Are those substances too?
"Yes ANNDDD no." Depends on context; a "cake mix" is not a mixture in the thermodynamic sense, since there are multiple solid phases present, but, it is still "colloquially" a mixture. How much thermo have you had?

Likes icakeov
Yes, and would a "cake mix" be considered a "chemical substance"? And I am wanting to focus to official terminology rather than casual terms.

icakeov said:
a "cake mix" be considered a "chemical substance"?
No.

Let's start with a few "yes or no" questions. Maybe I'll be able to steer you in the correct direction(s).

Likes icakeov
Ok, great thanks. Here they are all in order:
Is substance a synonym for matter?
Is substance an atom? (I guess I could reverse it and not lose meaning: is atom a substance?)
Is substance a molecule?
Is substance a compound?
Is substance a mix of same atoms, molecules or compounds? (e.g. a diamond, or glass of distilled water)
Is substance a mix of different atoms, molecules or compounds? (e.g. a cake mix) (I assume this is where its "meaning" ends, but I am not sure)

Another way of formulating what I am trying to ask is: Clearly, substance means different things, but at which point the concept of substance doesn't apply?

Many thanks again!

Likes Bystander and icakeov
Thanks Ygggdrasil, super helpful!
"A chemical substance is composed of one type of atom or molecule."
and
"Chemical substances are often called ‘pure’ to set them apart from mixtures."

Basically, substances = pure substances. That's where I think my confusion was coming from.

I still don't think I have a convenient term for "molecular aggregations" figured out. i.e. a common term that can be used from a puddle of pure water to a living organism filled with atoms and molecules. I can use "molecular aggregation" but it sounds so clunky.

Is "Bulk matter" the actual term?
Mixture cannot be it, as it doesn't include pure substances.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Last edited:
There is no one term. And the boundaries are somewhat hazy. My approach is not the most precise. And your question is kind of all-encompassing.

Learn about the Tyndall effect: How light scatters in colloids and very fine suspensions. It is a way to differentiate some of what you are talking about.
Please have a look: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyndall_effect because I use this concept below

At one end of the "spectrum" of your topic is the solution - a solvent dissolves a solute, e.g. brine or vinegar, no Tyndall effect

As we move onto colloids: sols, gels, and emulsions - examples are Jello gelatin desserts, mayonnaise - mayonnaise does not transmit light, but jello may show the Tyndall Effect. The components can be demulsified, for example: lye into mayonnaise and it will separate - do not eat it!.

Suspension- a mixture of particles suspended in a fluid like air or water, wood smoke is an example, aerosols is another. Smoke shows a Tyndall effect. Suspended dust particles also show that effect - the rays of the sun.

A mixture is one or more several different particle sizes which are mechanically separable by sieving. Or other mechanical means like vibration. And in some cases those particle size closely associate to different minerals or chemicals. Soils are the classic example. Clay particles are usually made of a few chemically bound minerals, often the phyllosilicate group.

Terms that need better definitions --- your turn, Mr Google will help!
solution
solute
solvent
aerosol
suspension
sol
gel
emulsion
colloid
soil particle sizes: loam, clay, silt, sand, gravel, channers

Likes icakeov
That's very helpful, thanks Jim. It becomes a bit of a futility when one starts to dig too deep with terminology.

Likes Tom.G
icakeov said:
That's very helpful, thanks Jim. It becomes a bit of a futility when one starts to dig too deep with terminology.
Nevertheless, you might enjoy looking at, if only for their intrigues, the words "congery/congeries" and "conflux/confluxes", as used for what you are calling aggregration/s (static and dynamic; material and energetic) by Lucretius.

Likes icakeov
Great! Thanks sysprog!

Related to Formal name for molecular aggregations?

1. What is a formal name for molecular aggregations?

The formal name for molecular aggregations is "supramolecular structures". This term refers to the arrangement of molecules in a specific pattern or structure, typically held together by non-covalent interactions.

2. How are supramolecular structures different from molecules?

While molecules are made up of atoms held together by chemical bonds, supramolecular structures are formed by the self-assembly of individual molecules. This means that supramolecular structures are not covalently bonded and can be easily broken down and reformed.

3. What are some examples of supramolecular structures?

Some examples of supramolecular structures include DNA double helix, lipid bilayers in cell membranes, and protein complexes in cells. These structures play important roles in biological processes and can also be designed and used in materials science.

4. How do scientists study supramolecular structures?

Scientists use a variety of techniques such as X-ray crystallography, nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, and electron microscopy to study supramolecular structures. These methods allow them to visualize and analyze the arrangement and interactions between molecules in these structures.

5. What are the potential applications of supramolecular structures?

Supramolecular structures have potential applications in various fields such as drug delivery, nanotechnology, and materials science. By designing and controlling the assembly of molecules, scientists can create functional materials with unique properties and applications.