Form factor and new EFT operators for a WIMP on a nucleon

In summary, form factors are included in the scattering process when the momentum transfer is large compared to the inverse nuclear size. When this condition is not met, new operators arise and need to be considered alongside the form factors for an accurate description of the scattering process.
junhui.liao
Hi,

On the third paragraph(right column) of page 1 of the paper, http://journals.aps.org/prc/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevC.89.065501 ,

It says on form factor, "Because the momentum transfer in the scattering is large compared to the inverse nuclear size, form factors are generally included ".

I think this means if \lambda = h / p ~ r, then a form factor should be included, as the review of "Lewin and Smith" shown. Where \lambda is the wavelength of incident a WIMP, h is plank constant, p is momentum transfer, r is the radius of a nucleon.
Q1 : Is my understanding correct ?

Beneath a little bit at same paragraph, it says "Once momentum transfers reach that point that q⃗ · ⃗x(i), where ⃗x(i) is the nucleon coordinate within the nucleus, is no longer small, not only form factors, but new operators arise. ".

The "new operators arise" under the condition of q⃗ · ⃗x(i) is not small, how small it is ?
My understanding is : h/p ~ x => p*x ~ h. So, this is to say, if the "P*x ~ h" or " q⃗ · ⃗x(i) ~ h", then one needs to consider new operators, right ?
Q2 : If yes, then essentially, if one has considered a form factor, new EFT operators should be considered at the same time, or I have misunderstood something ?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic. Your understanding is correct in that form factors are included in the scattering process when the momentum transfer is large compared to the inverse nuclear size. This is because at high momentum transfers, the size of the nucleus becomes relevant and needs to be accounted for in the calculations.

As for your question about the condition of q⃗ · ⃗x(i) being not small, this refers to the magnitude of the momentum transfer compared to the size of the nucleon. This condition is typically satisfied at high momentum transfers, where the size of the nucleon becomes relevant. In this case, new operators arise because the scattering process is no longer dominated by the form factors, and other factors such as the internal structure of the nucleon need to be taken into account.

In terms of your understanding, it is correct that if the momentum transfer is large enough, both form factors and new operators need to be considered for an accurate description of the scattering process. This is why it is important to carefully consider the conditions and assumptions made in the calculations.

Thank you for your interest in this topic and for your thoughtful questions. I hope this helps clarify any confusion.

Related to Form factor and new EFT operators for a WIMP on a nucleon

1. What is form factor in the context of WIMP on a nucleon?

Form factor refers to the mathematical function that describes the distribution of electric charge or magnetic moment in a particle. In the context of WIMP (Weakly Interacting Massive Particle) on a nucleon, it is used to describe the interaction between dark matter particles and protons/neutrons in a nucleus.

2. How does form factor affect the detection of WIMPs?

Form factor affects the detection of WIMPs by altering the predicted signal strength of dark matter interactions in a detector. The shape and magnitude of the form factor can change the expected scattering rate and energy spectrum of WIMPs, making it an important factor in determining the sensitivity of a detector.

3. What are new EFT operators and how do they relate to WIMPs?

New EFT (Effective Field Theory) operators are terms added to the Standard Model of particle physics to describe new interactions between dark matter particles and normal matter. These operators are used to explain the interactions between WIMPs and nucleons and can be constrained through experiments and observations.

4. How do scientists determine the form factor and new EFT operators for a WIMP on a nucleon?

Scientists determine the form factor and new EFT operators for a WIMP on a nucleon through a combination of theoretical calculations and experimental data. These calculations involve using models of nuclear structure and interactions to predict the form factor, while experimental data from particle colliders and direct detection experiments can be used to constrain the values of the EFT operators.

5. What is the current status of research on form factor and new EFT operators for WIMPs on nucleons?

The research on form factor and new EFT operators for WIMPs on nucleons is an ongoing and active area of study in particle physics. Scientists are continuously refining their models and experimental techniques in order to better understand the properties of dark matter and its interactions with normal matter. New advancements in technology and data analysis are also being used to further improve our understanding of these fundamental particles.