Form differential equation by substituition

In summary, the conversation involved forming a differential equation using the given equation and a substitution. The author provided an answer of (Y^2) +(2XY) -(X^2)+A= 0, while the other person's answer was (Y^2) +(2XY) -(X^2)+A(X^4)= 0. The hint given was to check how the rule ##\log a - \log b=\log \frac{a}{b}## was applied.
foo9008

Homework Statement

dy/dx = (x-y+2) / (x+y-2) , by using x=X and y=Y+2 , form a differential equation .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the author gave the answer as (Y^2) +(2XY) -(X^2)+A= 0 , while my answer is (Y^2) +(2XY) -(X^2)+A(X^4)= 0
is there anything wrong with my answer?
M9Rlgrs.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
foo9008 said:

Homework Statement

dy/dx = (x-y+2) / (x+y-2) , by using x=X and y=Y+2 , form a differential equation .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

the author gave the answer as (Y^2) +(2XY) -(X^2)+A= 0 , while my answer is (Y^2) +(2XY) -(X^2)+A(X^4)= 0
is there anything wrong with my answer?
M9Rlgrs.jpg
Hint: check how you applied the rule ##\log a - \log b=\log \frac{a}{b}##.

Likes foo9008

Related to Form differential equation by substituition

1. What is substitution in differential equations?

Substitution is a technique used to simplify a differential equation by replacing a variable with another expression or function.

2. When should substitution be used to form a differential equation?

Substitution is typically used when the original differential equation is too complex to solve directly or when the variable being substituted makes the equation easier to solve.

3. What are the steps to form a differential equation by substitution?

The steps to form a differential equation by substitution are: 1) Identify a variable to substitute, 2) Choose a new variable or expression to replace it with, 3) Substitute the new variable into the original equation, 4) Simplify and solve the resulting equation.

4. Can substitution be used in all types of differential equations?

Yes, substitution can be used in both ordinary and partial differential equations. However, it may not always lead to a simpler equation or a solution.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using substitution to form a differential equation?

One common mistake is forgetting to substitute the derivative of the new variable into the resulting equation. It is also important to check for extraneous solutions when solving the resulting equation.