Forgetting math concepts after test

In summary, the person is seeking advice on how to remember material in a fast-paced class. They are doing well on tests and quizzes, but struggle to recall concepts from previous weeks. One suggestion is to practice problems from previous topics. Another is to review notes before each class and create an outline of the course to better understand the overall structure. Workbooks can also be helpful for extra practice.
marcflores
Hey all,

I don't know if this is the correct forum, but can anyone give me advice on remembering material? My professor has a lot to cover in a short amount of time, and so we move through materials rather quickly. Now, this has no bearing on my tests, quizzes, or homework (I'm doing rather well in all areas of the class.) This is more of a personal issue. We'll cover something for one week and I'll do extremely well at it and nail down all the concepts and ideas. We have quizzes every week, and for the most part, I'll ace them. The problem is that if I open up my notes and work from three or four weeks ago, I'll draw a blank!

We move through material really fast and so I don't get to work out a lot of problems on my own time to really ingrain them in my head. I'll learn the stuff well enough to get the homework and tests correct, but once that section is over I'll forget the concepts a few weeks later.

Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
Concepts generally do not stay in your head unless you work with them a lot. My only advice to you is to find problems that you learned in the pass and keep them in practice. Well, actually what I did was whenever we learned a new concept I applied them to the old concepts.

For example, finding arc length. Then you learn how to integrate with trig subs. Go find an arc length that requires trig sub. If you cannot find one, make one up. Might be hard, but it's an idea.

I'll give it a shot, thanks. I went to Barnes & Noble and bought some workbooks that might keep me occupied during my free time.

As said above, problems help you keep the process fresh in your head. Learn a little bit of the theory so that even if you forget formulas and such you know where they're coming from and how it's applied. Go over your notes from last time at some point before each class. Make an outline of what you have covered so far so you can see the structure of the course and understand the big picture, so that it doesn't seem like independent little facts

Related to Forgetting math concepts after test

1. Why do we forget math concepts after a test?

Our brains are wired to prioritize information and store it in our memory based on its perceived importance. After a test, our brains may subconsciously categorize the math concepts as less important compared to other information we encounter on a daily basis. Additionally, if we do not actively review and practice the concepts, they may become less familiar and we may have difficulty recalling them.

2. Is there a way to prevent forgetting math concepts after a test?

Yes, there are several strategies that can help prevent forgetting math concepts after a test. One effective method is to actively engage in regular review and practice of the concepts, even after the test is over. This helps to reinforce the information in our memory and make it more easily retrievable. Another strategy is to create connections between the math concepts and real-life situations, making the information more meaningful and memorable.

3. Does forgetting math concepts after a test mean I'm not good at math?

No, forgetting math concepts after a test does not necessarily indicate a lack of ability in math. It is a common occurrence for many people, and does not reflect their overall understanding or intelligence. It is important to continue practicing and reviewing math concepts to strengthen understanding and retention.

4. Can forgetting math concepts after a test be a sign of a learning disability?

Forgetting math concepts after a test on its own is not necessarily a sign of a learning disability. However, if it is consistently happening and causing significant difficulties in understanding and retaining math concepts, it may be worth discussing with a teacher or medical professional to determine if further evaluation is needed.

5. How can I improve my memory for math concepts?

There are several strategies that can help improve memory for math concepts. One effective method is to use mnemonic devices, such as acronyms or visual aids, to help associate the concepts with something more memorable. Another strategy is to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, and practice them regularly. Additionally, getting enough sleep, eating a healthy diet, and reducing stress can also contribute to better memory retention.