Forensic Files: Crime Solving TV Show Fans Unite

• Thread starter MrOrange99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary, the person said that they like forensic shows because they like to "put the facts together" before the detectives solve the case. They also said that after volunteering in a crime lab for about 6 months, watching CSI just did not feel real anymore. They also said that other shows like City Confidential are still good.
MrOrange99
I don't watch a lot of tv, but when I do it usually has to be something that makes me think, lol. I was wondering if anyone else watches these kinds of shows (forensic, crimesolving).

Forensic Files kind of an obscure show but I am really hooked. I like to try to "put the facts together" before they solve it on the show. But most of the time I am clueless.

Who else is into this kind of thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
I watch CSI(all there) I somtimes watch show's about real muder mystires(but not as much as use to)Numbers and Monk

I used to watch forensic files about 2 or 3 years ago, and I liked it. Personally I watch Law and Order: Criminal Intent.

I think the more you know about something, the less fun the show becomes. After volunteering in a crime lab for about 6 months, watching CSI just did not feel real anymore.

I find that too. I used to love science shows as a kid. Now I hardly ever watch a science documentary unless it is something I know nothing about. I can't stand them, the way it is all dumbed down, and in a lot of them the number of things they get blatently wrong.

I liek forensic files and those kind of shows, (city confidential). I think CSI is crap

The more you learn, the more you realize these shows are total BS. Think you can match bullets to guns? You can't; the gun barrel changes after every single shot. DNA tests for every damn thing that comes along? No way, DNA testing is expensive, so it's rarely done. You can't run an IR on a mixture of things and get an answer, that's like trying to determine the individual components in scummy water by looking at it.
CSI pisses me off. In one episode, the dude actually said "two pro-pan-wun". Do you mean aceteone? Idiot.

Other shows like City Confidential are still good. Just a nice story from start to finish without any of the name dropping CSI crap.

ShawnD said:
In one episode, the dude actually said "two pro-pan-wun". Do you mean aceteone? Idiot.
:smile: I just suspend my thinking to watch those shows and enjoy them, but blatant mistakes like that crack me up, so for me, it's part of the fun of watching (hey, I know they're actors not real scientists). If you saw all the science fair projects inspired by shows like CSI, you'd realize that even if the show is flawed, you can appreciate it for inspiring kids to get interested in science (the projects were testing to see if things in the show really worked...the usual answer is "a little, but not like it did in the show").

But, yeah, they make everything seem so much easier and glamorous than it really is. I love how they run DNA samples with nothing to match it to, as if that's going to tell you anything (though, in some shows, it really has improved, where they acknowledge they don't have any matches for it), or just that something that takes 2 days to process in the real world can be "rushed" and done in 2 hours in TV world...I wish! I also have fun watching when they are showing someone actually doing a technique...they'll be wearing floppy gloves two sizes too big, rub their face with the gloved hand, grab a pipet tip with that gloved hand to stick it on the pipet, stick the pipet straight into the upright tube containing the only sample...yep, that one's contaminated.

I watch all of the CSI's, Law & Orders, etc.., but for entertainment only. Never heard of Forensic Files. One nice one that airs on Access here is called 'The New Detectives', which offers re-enactments of real cases (3 per episode), along with interviews with the real case officers and forsensics people who worked on them.

but you watch them to make sure it isn't your house being surrounded

Moonbear said:
I also have fun watching when they are showing someone actually doing a technique...they'll be wearing floppy gloves two sizes too big, rub their face with the gloved hand, grab a pipet tip with that gloved hand to stick it on the pipet, stick the pipet straight into the upright tube containing the only sample...yep, that one's contaminated.
:smile: I'll have to pay closer attention to that.

the worst thing I've ever seen was an episode of House. The doctor tests a homeless person vomit by tasting it. Turned out the person had rabies and died, another doctor had to get vaccinated, but the vomit taster didn't

Yes, you've pointed out all the things I've noticed when watching the scripted forensic shows. bwahahaha, its so funny if you know what really goes on.
:biggrin:

lol. I read an article by a forensic scientist talking about these shows. He was saying he finds it funny how its always dark and they carry torches. He said that when he goes to a crime scene, he just switches the light on.

I saw that too, Kazza. CSI always reminds me of the X-Files that way. Mulder and Scully's flashlight battery budget was bigger than their car allowance.

Yeah, I like the shows to just be real and straightforward, guess that's why I am mostly watching the non-fiction crime shows. No hollywood endings either, lol.

Related to Forensic Files: Crime Solving TV Show Fans Unite

What is "Forensic Files"?

Forensic Files is a crime solving television show that originally aired from 1996-2011. It showcases real-life cases that were solved using forensic evidence and technologies.

Why is "Forensic Files" popular among viewers?

Forensic Files is popular among viewers because it combines elements of true crime and science, making it both informative and entertaining to watch. It also appeals to those who are interested in the criminal justice system and how forensic science plays a crucial role in solving crimes.

Is "Forensic Files" scientifically accurate?

Yes, "Forensic Files" is known for its accuracy in depicting real-life forensic investigations. The show consults with experts and uses actual case files to ensure the scientific accuracy of each episode.

Can "Forensic Files" be used as a learning tool for students?

Yes, "Forensic Files" can be used as a learning tool for students, especially those studying forensic science or criminal justice. The show provides a detailed look at how forensic evidence is collected, analyzed, and used to solve crimes.

Is "Forensic Files" still in production?

Yes, "Forensic Files" is still in production and currently airing new episodes. It also has a large library of past episodes available for streaming on various platforms.