Forcing conditions in a solution of an under-determined system

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an under-determined system of equations and the desire to have control over the solutions obtained. The conditions for the solutions include elements being greater than or equal to -1 and having relationships between certain sets of elements. It is recommended to use a linear programming approach to properly accommodate these constraints.
Telemachus
Hi there. I am solving an under-determined system of equations. The solver I've written seems to work fine, but I would like to have some control on the solution I obtain. From the infinite set of solutions of my system, I would like to use only those that fulfill some conditions. One of those conditions is that the elements of the solution should ##x_k\geq-1##. The other condition I would like it to meet is more difficult to explain, but basically it has to do with that there should be some relation between some sets of elements in the solution. Basically, the element ##x_1## should be equal to the element, let's say ##x_M##, and ##x_{M-c}## where c and M are constants and so on.

Is there a way to meet these conditions? I am programming this in fortran, and I am using lapack to solve the under-determined system (I'm using the dgels subroutine). The program finds a solution, but sometimes the conditions are not fulfilled, and the solutions I obtain are physically nonsensical.

Bye there.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, there are lots of ways to solve an under-determined system of equations. Two common and popular ones involve coming up with a solution vector ##\mathbf x## in your equation of ##A\mathbf x = \mathbf b##, such that ##\mathbf x## has a minimum "length" -- using a 2 norm or a 1 norm.

The 2 norm approach is done via typical linear algebra solvers -- but they don't accommodate the constraints you're asking about directly. (There might be an indirect workaround though it seems tedious at best and it would depend on how detailed your constraints are)

On the other hand, the minimizing 1 norm approach is done via Linear Programming and is quite flexible. Supposing that the constraints you want are feasible (as in they don't preclude a feasible / valid solution), a linear programming approach can easily accommodate what you're asking for.

Long story short: consider setting this up as a linear program.

- - - -
note: I use Julia for Linear Programming -- I've never done it in Fortran.

It looks a bit dreary, but maybe something like this would be helpful for Fortran specifics:
http://www.ccom.ucsd.edu/~peg/papers/sqdoc.pdf

edit:
for avoidance of doubt: encoding a constraint that certain parameters in your solution vector should be equal can be done via typical matrix methods and solvers. If you have a nice LP modeling setup like in Julia's JuMP, I think it's nicer to do it there, but there is nothing preventing you from tacking on new rows to the bottom of your ##A## to enforce these constraints.

The real issue comes in dealing with inequality constraints like ##x_k \geq -1##. Linear Programming in some sense was designed to deal with things like this. 'Regular' matrix solvers are not. I would not recommend, in effect, creating Simplex from scratch via coming up with solutions via 'regular' solvers and doing lots of pivotting on your own... it is much better to use an off the shelf, highly efficient LP solver.

Last edited:
Likes Telemachus
Ok, thanks a lot.

Related to Forcing conditions in a solution of an under-determined system

1. What are forcing conditions in a solution of an under-determined system?

Forcing conditions refer to the constraints or requirements that must be satisfied in order for a solution to exist in an under-determined system. These conditions are necessary to narrow down the possible solutions and determine a unique solution.

2. How do forcing conditions affect the solution of an under-determined system?

Forcing conditions play a crucial role in determining the solution of an under-determined system. Without these conditions, there may be an infinite number of solutions or no solution at all. Thus, satisfying the forcing conditions is essential in obtaining a unique solution.

3. What are some examples of forcing conditions in an under-determined system?

Some common examples of forcing conditions include boundary conditions, initial conditions, and physical constraints. These conditions limit the possible solutions and help in determining a unique solution in an under-determined system.

4. Can forcing conditions be relaxed in an under-determined system?

In some cases, it may be possible to relax or loosen the forcing conditions in an under-determined system. This can lead to a broader range of solutions, but it may also result in a less precise or accurate solution. The decision to relax forcing conditions should be carefully evaluated based on the specific problem at hand.

5. How can forcing conditions be determined in an under-determined system?

The process of determining forcing conditions in an under-determined system involves analyzing the problem at hand and identifying the necessary constraints or requirements for a unique solution. This may involve using mathematical techniques and considering physical or practical limitations.