Forces on an unusual supporting structure

In summary, the problem is to design a frame that can support a weight of 10kg suspended 0.5m above the floor. The frame should have a vertical ellipse shape with one side missing, resembling a slightly straighter "C." The dimensions of the C are approximately 255mm across and 680mm tall. The major stress points are expected to be at the upper left hand side of the C and at the bottom where it meets the base. The goal is to determine the strength of the frame material to prevent bending or breaking and to find the optimal shape or size of the base to prevent the unit from tipping over to the right. The solution will require knowledge of physics equations, but the person seeking help has limited resources
nina

Homework Statement

The frame must support a weight of 10kg, approximately 0.5m above the floor. The weight is suspended from the top of a vertical elipse shape, of which 1 side is missing. The bottom of the half elipse rests on a base.

It looks like a slightly straighter "C" with the weight hanging on the right hand side. The C is approximately 255mm across and 680mm tall.

I need to know where the major stress points are, how strong the frame material must be to avoid bending/breaking, and what shape the C needs to be, or the size of the base, to avoid the unit tipping over to the right.

Homework Equations

It's been a while since I've done physics A level, my notes are somewhere in a box halfway across the country, and I have no idea what formulae I'm looking for sadly.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn out a squared version of the design, and tried modelling it in Solidworks to find the answer.

The most I have found is that the major stresses will be at the upper left hand side of the C, and at the bottom of the C where it meets the stand base.

The materials can be anything I want, I'm just after the load they must take in each direction!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is NOT my homework, I am not being marked on it... but it is a matter of balance. Please someone answer, I'm in desperate need!

I would approach this problem by first identifying the forces acting on the structure. In this case, we have the weight of 10kg acting downwards and the reaction force from the base acting upwards. We also have to consider the weight distribution of the frame itself.

To determine the major stress points, we can use the concept of center of mass. The center of mass of the weight and the frame must be directly above the base in order for the structure to remain stable. This means that the major stress points will be at the top of the C and at the bottom of the C where it meets the base.

To determine the strength of the frame material, we can use the formula for bending stress, which is F/A = σ, where F is the force applied, A is the cross-sectional area, and σ is the stress. We can also use the formula for torque, which is τ = F*d, where τ is the torque, F is the force applied, and d is the distance from the pivot point. By considering the forces acting on the structure and the dimensions of the frame, we can calculate the required strength of the material to avoid bending or breaking.

To avoid tipping over to the right, we need to ensure that the center of mass of the structure is within the base. This means that the base must be wide enough to support the weight and the frame without tipping over. The exact size of the base will depend on the dimensions and weight of the frame.

In terms of the shape of the C, it is important to ensure that the frame is symmetrical and that the weight is evenly distributed. This will help to distribute the forces evenly and minimize stress on any one point.

In conclusion, to determine the required strength of the frame material and the size of the base to support the weight of 10kg, we need to consider the forces acting on the structure, the dimensions of the frame, and the concept of center of mass. It may also be helpful to use equations for bending stress and torque to calculate the required strength of the material.

Related to Forces on an unusual supporting structure

1. What factors affect the forces on an unusual supporting structure?

The forces on an unusual supporting structure are influenced by various factors such as the type of material used, the design of the structure, the weight of the load it is supporting, and the environmental conditions such as wind and earthquakes.

2. How do you calculate the forces on an unusual supporting structure?

The forces on an unusual supporting structure can be calculated using Newton's laws of motion and principles of statics. This involves determining the external forces acting on the structure and analyzing the internal forces within the structure to ensure it is in equilibrium.

3. Can the forces on an unusual supporting structure be predicted?

Yes, the forces on an unusual supporting structure can be predicted through the use of mathematical models and computer simulations. These tools take into account the various factors that affect the forces and provide accurate predictions of the structural behavior.

4. How can the forces on an unusual supporting structure be reduced?

The forces on an unusual supporting structure can be reduced by using stronger and more durable materials, optimizing the design to distribute the load evenly, and implementing reinforcements or support systems to counteract the external forces.

5. What safety measures should be taken to ensure the stability of an unusual supporting structure?

To ensure the stability of an unusual supporting structure, it is important to conduct thorough structural analysis and testing during the design phase. Regular maintenance and inspections should also be carried out to identify any potential weaknesses or damage that may compromise the structure's stability.