Optimizing Support Geometry for Tall Structures: A Civil Engineering Problem

• Thread starter will3330
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Civil
In summary, the task is to determine the optimal geometry of a 100m tall concrete support to minimize cost while supporting a 1000 tonne mass, considering the maximum allowable stress in concrete, weight of the material, and stiffness. Linear programming may be used to find the minimum cost.
will3330

Homework Statement

When building a tall support, often the self weight of the support must be considered. For an optimal support, the volume of material, and hence the cost, will be a minimum. If the maximum allowable stress in concrete is 12 MPa, determine the optimal geometry of the column 100m tall made of concrete to support a mass of 1000 tonnes at its top (like the CN tower).

Homework Equations

Weight concrete: 24Kn/m^3
Stiffness: 30000MPa
Cost: $0.05/kg

The Attempt at a Solution

well I guess I can find the total force = 1000(#tonnes) x 9.81.

Also Stress = Force/Area and from that I can find the radius/diameter of the cylinder.

But the cylinder is suppose to be sort of "cone" shaped I think for optimal geometry (like the CN Tower)

Also, would there have to be a function to find the minimum cost and volume of building this structure?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
will3330 said:

Homework Statement

When building a tall support, often the self weight of the support must be considered. For an optimal support, the volume of material, and hence the cost, will be a minimum. If the maximum allowable stress in concrete is 12 MPa, determine the optimal geometry of the column 100m tall made of concrete to support a mass of 1000 tonnes at its top (like the CN tower).

Homework Equations

Weight concrete: 24Kn/m^3
Stiffness: 30000MPa
Cost: $0.05/kg

The Attempt at a Solution

well I guess I can find the total force = 1000(#tonnes) x 9.81.

Also Stress = Force/Area and from that I can find the radius/diameter of the cylinder.

But the cylinder is suppose to be sort of "cone" shaped I think for optimal geometry (like the CN Tower)

Also, would there have to be a function to find the minimum cost and volume of building this structure?

Thanks
I can't say much, but as for the minimum cost, you might want to try some linear programming given your constraints

for your question!

my first step in solving this problem would be to gather all the necessary information, such as the weight and stiffness of concrete, the maximum allowable stress, and the cost per kilogram. From there, I would use the given information to calculate the total force and stress on the column, as you have mentioned.

Next, I would consider the shape and design of the column. As you mentioned, a "cone" shape may be more optimal for this type of structure. This could potentially reduce the volume of concrete needed while still providing enough support for the given mass. I would also consider other factors such as wind and seismic loads, as these could also impact the optimal geometry.

Once I have a general idea of the shape and design, I would then use mathematical models and simulations to determine the exact dimensions of the column. This could involve optimizing the shape and dimensions to minimize cost while still meeting all necessary structural requirements. This would likely involve creating a function to find the minimum cost and volume, as you mentioned.

In addition to mathematical models, I would also consider real-world factors such as construction methods and materials availability. It may also be beneficial to consult with other civil engineers and experts in the field to ensure the most optimal and practical solution is found.

Overall, optimizing support geometry for tall structures is a complex and important problem in civil engineering. It requires a combination of scientific knowledge, mathematical modeling, and practical considerations to find the most efficient and cost-effective solution.

Related to Optimizing Support Geometry for Tall Structures: A Civil Engineering Problem

1. What is a tough civil engineering problem?

A tough civil engineering problem is a challenge or issue that requires advanced knowledge, skills, and innovative approaches to solve. These problems typically involve complex physical, environmental, and societal factors that can affect the design, construction, and maintenance of structures or systems.

2. What are some common tough civil engineering problems?

Some common tough civil engineering problems include designing and constructing large-scale infrastructure projects such as bridges, highways, and airports, addressing environmental concerns such as water pollution and climate change, and managing the aging and deteriorating infrastructure in urban areas.

3. How do civil engineers approach tough problems?

Civil engineers approach tough problems by using a systematic and analytical approach. They gather data, conduct research, and perform calculations to understand the problem and its potential solutions. They also consider various factors such as safety, cost, sustainability, and societal impact when developing solutions.

4. What skills are necessary to solve tough civil engineering problems?

To solve tough civil engineering problems, one must have a strong foundation in math, science, and engineering principles. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills are essential. Civil engineers also need to be adaptable and open to learning new technologies and techniques.

5. How can tough civil engineering problems be prevented?

Tough civil engineering problems can be prevented by conducting thorough research and analysis during the planning and design phases of a project. By considering potential challenges and risks early on, engineers can develop more resilient and efficient solutions. Regular maintenance and monitoring can also help prevent or mitigate potential problems in existing infrastructure.